Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adeline Petunia??

After months of not wanting to discuss middle names for Adeline, my husband finally agreed to begin to talk about it. He told me why all the choices I had come up with weren't good, of course without offering any suggestions of his own. But, last night, to my great surprise, he suggested Petunia.

Now, I love the name itself. The thing is, about seven years ago, when our guinea pigs had babies, a girl piggie was going to be named Petunia (we ended up with two boys, Winston and Pillow). So...while I had thought of Petunia as a pet name, we never actually had a pet with that name.

My question is, what do you think of Adeline Petunia? Is it too cutesy? Is the pseudo-guinea pig association bad? Could an adult have Petunia as a middle name, without it seeming weird? ( I realize, of course, you can get away with more in the middle name). Do you think the name works because of the growing trend of more unusual botanical names?

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!
    Current Favorites

Adeline, Annabel, Cecily, Clara, Clementine, Cressida, Daphne, Eliza, Flora, Georgiana, Gemma, Hyacinth, Isa, Imogen, Juliet, Lila, Livia, Matilda, Ophelia, Persephone, Sabrina, Tamsin, Verona, Violet

Alastair, Asher, Callum, Caleb, Colin, Dorian, Felix, Florian, Gavin, Hallam, Inigo, Julian, Lionel, Marius, Nigel, Noel, Oliver, Raphael, Sebastian, Silas

Current furry children: Clover, Snowshoe, Avalon, Puck, Panda, Winona

Expecting a [tbd] c. August 19, 2013!!

Petunia reminds me of the aunt in Harry Potter and tuna, and after your guinea pig tale I can't picture it on anything but a rude relative and a guinea pig. Adeline is such a pretty name, deserving of a pretty middle...

Other flowers...
    Adeline Violet
    Adeline Rose
    Adeline Ivy
    Adeline Iris
    Adeline Orchid
    Adeline Poppy
    Adeline Magnolia
    Adeline Azalea

Other lovely middles...
    Adeline Marguerite
    Adeline Sabrina
    Adeline Estelle
    Adeline Hazel
    Adeline Bianca
    Adeline Claire
    Adeline Pearl
    Adeline Ophelia
    Adeline Isla

Good luck!
    | Arabella Monet | Henrietta Plum | Isolde Noor | Agatha Ruby | Marian Primrose |
    | Emma Berlin | Cressida Lilac | Jessamine Lark | Vivienne Snow | Ireland Eve |

My only issue with Petunia is that it reminds me of Harry Potter's aunt.

That aside, Petunia is great in the middle spot. Adeline is "safe" enough to keep Petunia from feeling too wacky. Petunia isn't my favorite, but Adeline Petunia is a nice name.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Hmm. I personally find it too cutesy...I like a lot of botanical names, but Petunia is just not a name I can picture on a person. You have some lovely names in your signature that I think sound a lot nicer (or has he vetoed those already?). The almost-pet-name connection would not bother me, by the way. Good luck!

I kinda' like it. Adeline Petunia is unexpected. Petunia might not be everyone's cup of tea but she seems sweet and has cute nickname options if you ever desire to use them.
    new username @finch