Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yw2 View Post
    Maybe ask his brother if he would mind if the baby has the same name? If the brother's cool with it, I'd think you'd be good to use it.
    I'm sure Luke would be honored if we used his name. It's just that my dh wasn't trying to honor anyone with our baby's names. He hasn't even used his own names in our son's names.
    Pondering names for a hypothetical #7. Current favorites: Grace Elizabeth and Lucy Caroline

I know how you feel! Since its his brother but yet not so close "location wise" I think I would save it for a middle name.
    My DH has a step brother named Emmett and to this day I still beg to name a boy Emmett but my DH just thinks its too weird. (thing is in the 7 years together I have never met him, he lives in a different state and probably will never meet him, as well as the only ones who will know they have the same name is his 3 brothers and his dad)
    Also maybe try reversing the situation. Think of -if your husband liked a name of someone you were related to- if you would be okay with it.
    When I was in another naming conundrum lol, I was going to use my DH's aunts name but the more I kept questioning it and struggling with the situation, the more I thought "if I can't be happy and worry free with this name and the baby isn't here yet, how am I going to feel when the baby is in deed here."
    I don't want to sound harsh, I'm just learning from experience and want to give you as much advice and insight as possible. Good luck!!
    Lily Elizabeth 08/08/08-Chase Steven 01/28/10-Zack Francis 12/21/12-Drew Daniel 07/06/14

My little girl "name" in waiting: *Isla Josephine*

Hmmm

Well you don't seem to intend to "honor" Luke the Brother-in-Law, you just like the name. I say you should let this one go unless the name Luke is the only name you think you could ever love. It's kind of odd otherwise. I would find it odd if my husband pushed to use my sisters name. It would be weird adjusting to thinking of my kid not my sibling when I hear that super familiar name, you know?

Maybe Luca could work for you? It seems distinct enough despite being so so close. Do Duke or Zeke or Jake or Jack interest you?

Quote Originally Posted by townsend2787 View Post
    I know how you feel! Since its his brother but yet not so close "location wise" I think I would save it for a middle name.
    My DH has a step brother named Emmett and to this day I still beg to name a boy Emmett but my DH just thinks its too weird. (thing is in the 7 years together I have never met him, he lives in a different state and probably will never meet him, as well as the only ones who will know they have the same name is his 3 brothers and his dad)
    Also maybe try reversing the situation. Think of -if your husband liked a name of someone you were related to- if you would be okay with it.
    When I was in another naming conundrum lol, I was going to use my DH's aunts name but the more I kept questioning it and struggling with the situation, the more I thought "if I can't be happy and worry free with this name and the baby isn't here yet, how am I going to feel when the baby is in deed here."
    I don't want to sound harsh, I'm just learning from experience and want to give you as much advice and insight as possible. Good luck!!
    Funny thing, dh use to say we couldn't use James b/c he had a "weird" Uncle Jim. I finally vetoed that one as we never have any contact with him and we don't call our James Jim.

As far as reversing the situation. I only have one sister and she would absolutely love it if we used her name and I wouldn't have a problem doing so, but my hubby would think that it was odd. So it's more using names of people he knows that feels odd to him.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Hmmm

Well you don't seem to intend to "honor" Luke the Brother-in-Law, you just like the name. I say you should let this one go unless the name Luke is the only name you think you could ever love. It's kind of odd otherwise. I would find it odd if my husband pushed to use my sisters name. It would be weird adjusting to thinking of my kid not my sibling when I hear that super familiar name, you know?

Maybe Luca could work for you? It seems distinct enough despite being so so close. Do Duke or Zeke or Jake or Jack interest you?
    I do love Luke more than Andrew our current top choice -- my dh has pushed for Andrew for years and I've started to come around.

I'm pretty committed to using New Testament names for my boys. I could do Jack but only as a nn for John and then I'd much rather use Johnny. Trouble with John is dh's dad is named John and we have a nephew named after him already.
    Last edited by lo; May 1st, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Pondering names for a hypothetical #7. Current favorites: Grace Elizabeth and Lucy Caroline

I would use it for sure. I am from a large family, and names are reused all the time. Nephews named after uncles are common. We reuse names such as William, Joseph, John and Robert. I like the idea, personally. Besides, I love the name Luke.