Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    My mom was 42 when she accidentally got pregnant with me. (Let's not talk about the irony of the conversation in when she told me that condoms had expiration dates when I was 19 and I had to point out to her that I had not only told her that 6 months earlier but also wasn't planning on taking contraception advice from someone who opted for the "counting method" and failed at it). She is not the oldest women in my family to have given birth with a cousin having her fourth at 47.
    I have a friend whose mother was 27 when she had her and 40 when she had her little sister. Her mom wasn't ready to be a mom the first time around but was a completely different mother the second time around. However, my aunt was an awesome mother hen to all at 13 when her mother was forced to go back to work after her father got injured. I say this not because I firmly believe that every women has the capacity to be a great mom. Some feel they want the vitality of 20-something youth to help them out, others need to mellow out from their party days, some feel they can do with uncertain financial and emotional stability and yet others find emotional and financial stability an absolute must, etc. You shouldn't worry about everyone else and just worry about when you think it's right (or more right) for you.

I really hate it when people say they want to be young mothers so they have the energy to run after their kids. If your in your mid 30s or 40s are you going to be running around with a walker? My mom (as stated above) was older and the energy she still has now is astounding - what she does in a week, the thought alone exhausts me. I expect it's similar to how younger mothers feel when others say they "waited" for emotional stability. So to each their own, right?!
    Last edited by lexiem; April 30th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Endora & Lorelei
    trying to narrow down.....Dexter, Victor, Gideon, Hendrik, Oberon, Cedric
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)]

30 is YOUNG! When you're in your early 20s, it may seem old, but, trust me, it's not! You definitely won't be an old mum! 30 is the average age of first time mums in Australia. My husband and I are TTC and, if we're successful this month, baby will be born just before my 30th. I understand what it's like to have friends who have their families younger, but, seriously, don't worry! You've got the right attitude of wanting everything in your life together before you try for a baby. I wouldn't advise putting it off till you're 40, but 30 is fine (and very normal)!
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    30 is YOUNG! When you're in your early 20s, it may seem old, but, trust me, it's not! You definitely won't be an old mum! 30 is the average age of first time mums in Australia. My husband and I are TTC and, if we're successful this month, baby will be born just before my 30th. I understand what it's like to have friends who have their families younger, but, seriously, don't worry! You've got the right attitude of wanting everything in your life together before you try for a baby. I wouldn't advise putting it off till you're 40, but 30 is fine (and very normal)!

It REALLY, REALLY bugs the crap out of me when people act like it's the "right" attitude to have, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    It REALLY, REALLY bugs the crap out of me when people act like it's the "right" attitude to have, seriously.
    But why, Flick? The way you described your circumstances:

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    I am 23 and together, my husband and I have 4 children. We work hard at both jobs AND school, putting both of us through graduate school with 4 kids will not be easy but it's always been a priority for BOTH of us to be parents young.
    ...make it sound like you did indeed have (to quote Sarah) 'everything in your life together' (job, husband, school etc) It just happened earlier for you, that's the only difference
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

@Flick - I didn't mean to cause offense, I just meant that, since the OP said she wants to achieve certain things in her life before having children, she shouldn't put pressure on herself to have children before then simply because she's worried she'll be too old. Honestly, I think people should have themselves together before they have a baby. You've got to be prepared! And, like Ren said, sounds like you feel you were prepared when you had your baby.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter