Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    First names have to be 500 or lower for me to use. For middle names, it really doesn't matter. Uber-Popular or classic names balance out the first.
    Maryjane Elizabeth

A teenberry author with a healthy obsession of names!
    Casimir Ozias, Mordecai {searching for middle} - Sandrina Noor, Antigone Plum, Cosima Patricia, Desdemona?

The name charts don't necessarily influence my favorites at all. I get inspiration for names from television, books, movies, people I meet, everywhere. For example Sophie/Sophia is a name I never liked (not because it was popular - I just didn't like it) until recently. As some of you may know I love Game of Thrones and one of the actresses is named Sophie Turner and she's just adorable and has helped the name grow on me significantly.

When it comes to my naming favorites I try not to pay too much attention to the charts right now because I'm not planning on having children any time soon, but I am pretty informed on what's popular from helping others with names.

I'm actually the opposite on boys and girls names. I don't mind much if my favorite girl names are in the top couple hundred (I love Charlotte, Penelope, Anastasia, etc), but I don't want my boys names to be anywhere near the top 300. Unfortunately, by the time I actually have children, I doubt I will be able to avoid that as a lot of my favorites seem to be gaining popularity (i.e. Augustus, Henry, Jase, Aiden) although I have a few that I doubt will ever be really popular (River, Castiel, Alaric, Renly).
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Just a little bit. For the most part, I like the names I like, and I don't care about popularity, but the SSA list makes it easier to spot those meganame trends where a bunch of popular names sound the same. That kind of "shared" popularity bothers me a lot more than the popularity of an individual name.

For example, the popularity of Noah (currently #5) is irrelevant to me, but the popularity of Hayden (#90) drives me nuts. It's because Hayden also shares the top 100 with Ayden, Jayden, Brayden, Jaden, and Ayden. Abigail (#7) is more distinctive to me than Stella (#73) because Stella is marching along with Isabella, Ella, Gabriella, and Ellie. I'll take an Olivia (#4) over the less popular Kaylee (36), Kylie (58), and Kayla (59) every time.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

Quote Originally Posted by goodhope View Post
    Just a little bit. For the most part, I like the names I like, and I don't care about popularity, but the SSA list makes it easier to spot those meganame trends where a bunch of popular names sound the same. That kind of "shared" popularity bothers me a lot more than the popularity of an individual name.

For example, the popularity of Noah (currently #5) is irrelevant to me, but the popularity of Hayden (#90) drives me nuts. It's because Hayden also shares the top 100 with Ayden, Jayden, Brayden, Jaden, and Ayden. Abigail (#7) is more distinctive to me than Stella (#73) because Stella is marching along with Isabella, Ella, Gabriella, and Ellie. I'll take an Olivia (#4) over the less popular Kaylee (36), Kylie (58), and Kayla (59) every time.
    ^^This is why I love the combined spellings list from NameNerds.com. They take the information from the SSA (all names/spellings that are given to at least 5 children that year are reported to the SSA, but they only list the top 1000 individual spellings on their official site) and combine all spellings for individual names to give a more comprehensive list of what's actually popular. That's how we know that Aiden/Ayden/Aidan/etc. is actually the #1 boys' name over Jacob, because the SSA lists by individual spellings, not overall popularity of a single name with multiple spellings.
    ~Meaghan Marie (26) & John Michael (27)~
    ~ Aubriella Braelyn (1/20/07) ~ Kaia Avalon (10/28/2008) ~ Aidyn Ryker (10/13/09) ~
    ~ Taylee-Rose Amethyst (1/22/12) ~ Lyric Amelie (7/27/13) ~ Baby #6 due (9/21/14) ~

Coralie ~ Rhiannon ~ Rowan ~ Guinevere ~ Taryn ~ Aveline ~ Saoirse ~ Ember ~ Aspen ~ Acacia
    Asher ~ Evander ~ Tobias ~ Merrick ~ Jasper ~ Avery ~ Sebastien ~ Rune ~ Emrys ~ Atreyu

Yes, anything in the top 100 i would steer clear of... and some 'classic' names just feel common even if their not used much anymore.
    Excludes my top 7 girls and top 7 boys names.

girls reserve list - Lucia(loo-see-a) - Orla -Kitty (katherine) - Iris - Celia - Ilona(ee-low-na)

boys RL - Caspar - Tristan - Rowan - Charles (not charlie)

Note: Official names in brackets and they are just that 'official'.