Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, no problem.

69 78.41%
  • Definitely not.

19 21.59%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    The Veteran's Day/ANZAC thing makes me think of dead soldiers. A field of flowers is a pretty image in itself, but the red poppies for the blood-soaked battlefields and cemetaries is pretty morbid.

Putting aside the war image, there's opium.

I dunno, poppies seem one of the more problematic flowers. I couldn't use it. And I'm the sort that likes Lily/Daisy/Violet kind of names.

It's quite popular here in Australia though.
    Thank you. I'm American, so it sounds EXTREMELY odd to me. Being in China, I immediately think of opium. To me, it's like naming my daughter Cocaine nn Coco.... It also reminds me of my great-grandfather, who we called Poppy.

My last association is the poem, "In Flanders' Fields":

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields."

Death and drugs... what more could you want? Jk. I see how others could like the name, but I strongly dislike it.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I still cannot imagine what on earth the sexual connotation could possibly be. It's not my style but I wouldn't classify it as unusable.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    I still cannot imagine what on earth the sexual connotation could possibly be.
    Me either!

Poppy is very popular in England. There is one living three houses down from me. I think it's adorable and pars very well with Lucy and Ruby. I find poppy fields to be one of the most beautiful sights in the world, walking through one is pure magic.

As for other associations, we've got this thing called The Poppy Appeal, which is fundraising for the armed forces. People wear artificial poppies called remembrance poppies (on their shirts and cars) to show respect for those who died in war.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    I know a baby born recently on Anzac Day (April 25) who was named Poppy in honour of the day! NB: If you don't know, Anzac Day honours soldiers who fought in wars for Australia and New Zealand. The poppy is the symbol of the day. I think it's a sweet name, although it's rather cutesy.
    We do poppies too, like Otter and Ash mentioned My great uncle was part of that awful Gallipoli campaign with the Australians and New Zealanders in world war one. Can't believe it's nearly been a hundred years!

Poppy is more than usable. My brother has a friend with red hair (a boy) who I nicknamed Poppy
    Last edited by renrose; April 30th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

No idea why it would be rendered unusable let alone have sexual connotations... I love it as a name and I think it sounds really great with Lucy and Ruby!