View Poll Results: Is Poppy usable?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, no problem.

69 78.41%
  • Definitely not.

19 21.59%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It's usable, but Poppy sounds like something you call your grandfather...
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

My stepdad's grand kids call him Poppy. But it still sounds like a girls name to me. A cute one. A bit too cute for my taste but still usable.

I can imagine it being maybe a LITTLE bit more difficult to use in areas with a large Hispanic population, since "papi" means daddy and sometimes in a flirtatious or lascivious way. "Ay, papi," etc.

That's the only even remotely sexual connotation I can think of for it. And it doesn't make the name unusable anywhere in the States, really.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
    David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick

Girl Combos: Clementine Mary Theresa . Cecelia Rose Elizabeth
    Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Diana . Gloria . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne

I can't help but think that school children might call her Poopy instead. Otherwise, Pop, Papa, Poppy... too grandfathery for me.
    Maximus Alexander (April 2012)
    Audrey Juliet Sophia (August 2014)
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"

I love Poppy! I think it's so adorable, and I love the idea of Lucy, Ruby, and Poppy as sisters. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm extremely naive when it comes to sexual matters, haha, but I really can't think of anything sexual connected to Poppy? I think it's sweet, and I like the connection to Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

The Veteran's Day/ANZAC thing makes me think of dead soldiers. A field of flowers is a pretty image in itself, but the red poppies for the blood-soaked battlefields and cemetaries is pretty morbid.

Putting aside the war image, there's opium.

I dunno, poppies seem one of the more problematic flowers. I couldn't use it. And I'm the sort that likes Lily/Daisy/Violet kind of names.

It's quite popular here in Australia though.