View Poll Results: Is Poppy usable?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, no problem.

69 78.41%
  • Definitely not.

19 21.59%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It's usable, but Poppy sounds like something you call your grandfather...
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

My stepdad's grand kids call him Poppy. But it still sounds like a girls name to me. A cute one. A bit too cute for my taste but still usable.

I can imagine it being maybe a LITTLE bit more difficult to use in areas with a large Hispanic population, since "papi" means daddy and sometimes in a flirtatious or lascivious way. "Ay, papi," etc.

That's the only even remotely sexual connotation I can think of for it. And it doesn't make the name unusable anywhere in the States, really.
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Jack . Walker . David . Gabriel . Joe . Michael
    Clementine . Marina . Nadia . Vesper . Georgia . Emerald

I can't help but think that school children might call her Poopy instead. Otherwise, Pop, Papa, Poppy... too grandfathery for me.
    Maximus Alexander's Mama
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"

I love Poppy! I think it's so adorable, and I love the idea of Lucy, Ruby, and Poppy as sisters. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm extremely naive when it comes to sexual matters, haha, but I really can't think of anything sexual connected to Poppy? I think it's sweet, and I like the connection to Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day.

The Veteran's Day/ANZAC thing makes me think of dead soldiers. A field of flowers is a pretty image in itself, but the red poppies for the blood-soaked battlefields and cemetaries is pretty morbid.

Putting aside the war image, there's opium.

I dunno, poppies seem one of the more problematic flowers. I couldn't use it. And I'm the sort that likes Lily/Daisy/Violet kind of names.

It's quite popular here in Australia though.