Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I like Noah, but dislike Liam. I don't like nn's as names (Jack, Sam, Liam, etc.). I think giving a proper name with a nn gives much more leeway when you grow up. Carson, Parker, and Rylan are are rather popular/ trendy names. I'm going to disagree with a lot of the other posters. While I would not rule out a name simply based on it being popular, it would make me think twice. I was always one of many Tiffany's in class (I was an 80s baby), and I never liked it. My siblings had more unique names and never faced this problem. This is especially true if you have a common last name. Do you really want your son to be Brian Johnson? Moreover, common names are the first to be stereotyped or have a connotation added to them. Now, many Tiffany associate with a blond airhead... This happens less frequently with rare names. It's true that popular names are those that people like right now, but their also names that people are more likely to either stereotype or become sick of (like a popular song that's been overplayed on the radio. I don't see my favs becoming extremely popular, but should they, I might have to rethink it...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I don't know why, but I think it's worse for girls to have a popular name than for boys. I've only ever heard girls/women complaining about being known as e.g. Jen H or Jen B. I can't ever remember hearing a boy/man complaining about being identified as Dave M or Dave R or his name being too popular.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go with a top-10 name, but I would totally consider a name in the 15-20 rank for a boy. In your area, how popular were Noah and Liam in 2012?

Popularity only matter in how much it matters to you.
    I think Noah is amazing and has been a long time love of mine. It's classic but with a strong
    modern ring and fits in nicely with your other kids names. I don't think it has a too popular ring
    as it's not "trendy" just popular. (Popular doesn't bother me so much trendy bothers me a lot,
    and I don't know if I could do that.)
    CONSTRUCTION ZONE!!!
    maybe Endora, Dexter, Gideon & Lorelei
    Newlywed (Not TTC...yet)

Quote Originally Posted by evelyns_mom View Post
    I don't know why, but I think it's worse for girls to have a popular name than for boys. I've only ever heard girls/women complaining about being known as e.g. Jen H or Jen B. I can't ever remember hearing a boy/man complaining about being identified as Dave M or Dave R or his name being too popular.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go with a top-10 name, but I would totally consider a name in the 15-20 rank for a boy. In your area, how popular were Noah and Liam in 2012?
    I cannot for the life of me find 2012 for West Virginia ANYWHERE In 2011 Noah was #4. I agree that I've never heard a boy complain and never though of it that way at all!

Quote Originally Posted by evelyns_mom View Post
    Ha, actually my nephew has complained about his name... Brian Johnson... But it is extremely common (both 1st and last). Hence, if your last name is common, go for something a bit more interesting.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina