Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Oh man. We cloth diapered my first until he grew out of the first set that we had for him ... and the research for which kind to get next gave me headaches and so much stress that when my mom pressured me to use disposable, I caved in. Plus, that was at about 6mo, when he started to eat and the poops got serious. We'll be reusing our old ones for my second - mostly fuzzibunz and thirsties. Good luck!
    Mom to Julian and Oliver
    Favorites for girls: Halina, Beata, Persis, Iolanta, Dorota, Agata, Lucia, Victoria, Vesper
    Favorites for boys: Oliver, Reuben, Henry, Felix, Graham, Augustine

My mother in law gave us 18 brand new fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. My sister in law used FBs for her twins and she loved them. We used them until our son turned about 1, but I was never completely happy with them. We always had to double stuff them b.c he is a heavy wetter and they would still leak around the legs. I am positive that this was not a fit issue. This is a baby with some very substantial thighs. Like so substantial that he never fit into those Bumbo seats. And we tried the elastics at every possible setting, which by the way, changing the elastic settings is really annoying. And we washed them according to the Fuzzi Bunz website. Anyhow, even though the FBs say that they will fit from birth to potty training, by the time he was one, he had plumber butt in them. He is a very large kid, above 95th percentile for height and weight for his age. He weighed 20 lbs at four months. Maybe they work better for smaller babies?

So I sold them on Craigslist and bought Thirsties snap on covers and used prefolds that we already had. Oh my goodness, this is so much of a better system. We have no more leaks at all and we don't have to stuff diapers or mess around with complicated laundering systems. The prefolds are very forgiving when it comes to things like which detergent you use, etc. I absolutely recommend going this way. It really isn't complicated at all, we do not even use snappies. We just fold the prefold into thirds, lay it into the diaper, and snap it on the baby. It is also much cheaper than buying AIOs or pocket diapers. And you can find the covers used all of the time on Craigslist. You can sometimes find used prefolds, but people tend to hang on to those and when you do find them, they are not much cheaper than new prefolds. You can also sell all of this stuff when you're done w. it and recoup some of that investment. I got $10 each for the used Fuzzi Bunz, to give you an idea.

I have two Blueberry covers that someone gave us, and I have to say, I really prefer the Thirsties. I think that the Thirsties are $10 each new and the Blueberrys are $16.

Cloth diapering is really not a big deal. It's another load of laundry every other day, that's all. We used disposables when we're on vacation and we used disposable overnights at night b.c our son sleeps twelve hours straight through in them and I am not about to mess around with that. But that is one disposable diaper a day, so it is still a huge savings and way less trash, etc.

We're making the switch right now, actually. I've been a big fan of the flats / prefolds with a cover system because it is economical and I really like that I can sew my own diapers from recycled materials, which is very satisfying to me. Right now, my "bought" stash (diapers I did not make) consists of a few Alva pockets, Smart Bottoms covers, Bimkins covers, and....yeah, I'm drawing a blank, there are a few other random ones.

If your starting out, I would definitely suggest trying out multiple brands, just buying one or two of each you are interested in and then re-sell the ones you don't like. (Yes, believe it or not, USED diapers have a really high resale value, a lot of times a diaper that has only been used a handful of times can be sold for only a couple dollars less than what you paid for it originally). I highly suggest the diaper swappers forum and I like the blog someone linked up top, too. I am really enjoying fleece lately, too - it makes a great breathable cover (yes, it holds in messes and does not leak), and I can sew them from all kinds of sweet colors and patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    So I sold them on Craigslist and bought Thirsties snap on covers and used prefolds that we already had. Oh my goodness, this is so much of a better system. We have no more leaks at all and we don't have to stuff diapers or mess around with complicated laundering systems. The prefolds are very forgiving when it comes to things like which detergent you use, etc. I absolutely recommend going this way. It really isn't complicated at all, we do not even use snappies. We just fold the prefold into thirds, lay it into the diaper, and snap it on the baby. It is also much cheaper than buying AIOs or pocket diapers. And you can find the covers used all of the time on Craigslist.
    This is great to hear! I am prepping all of my prefolds now as a I type this. I have heard you should wash them up to 6x before using them. Is that true? I have Chinese prefolds right now. The prefolds seem like they'd be pretty leaky, so it's helpful to get your opinions on them. Just wrap them around the baby, put on a cover and go??? I am hoping to get stocked up on the Thirstie covers at my baby shower. Do you have any other prefold tips. Brands, Chinese vs. Indian, different sizes, etc, etc....

Thanks in advance, @tarynkay!
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

I was going to post the 25 cloth diaper review but sdsurf beat me to it. :-)

I've never tried any cloth diapers b/c I don't have kids, but I wanted to add that my BFF had a separate cloth diaper registry on Amazon, b/c they carry a bunch of brands. She had her regular Babies R Us registry, and then the Amazon one just for diapers. And she was really happy she did it that way.

If you're registering at Babies R Us, they have a starter pack of Bum Genius diapers (I think it's a pack of 5 but I don't remember for sure) and the sprayer that attaches to your toilet. I know b/c my BFF registered for them and it's what I bought her. (She loves the sprayer, btw.) They also have individual packs of two - all Bum Genius, tho.

My friend likes the Bum Genius ok, but she ended up liking Thirsties and Fuzzibunz better. I agree with the other posters who said to buy one of each brand. Because of her Amazon diaper registry, she ended up getting a big assortment, and the ones she didn't care for she sold on Craigslist, and used the money to buy more of the brands she did like.

Hope this helps!

FWIW, I intend to try cloth diapering as well. Mainly b/c I think they're so frakkin' cute. :-D

Congrats and good luck!
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first!
    If it's a boy: Josiah Walker "Joe"
    If it's a girl: Clementine Marvel
    Avatar: "Dark Robe" by Malcolm Liepke