Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Nehemiah vs. Jeremiah

Just wondering what people think about the names themselves and why with the similarities (sound, syllables, and etymology) Jeremiah is so much more popular than Nehemiah?

I'd imagine that Jeremiah is more popular because of its similarities to Jeremy, Jerome, etc. Personally, I prefer Jeremiah to Nehemiah.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I heard a man named Nehemiah (a Jewish man) pronounce his name Nih-him-eye-AH. (The /nih/ sounds more like the sound in /eh/ or even /egg/.) I'd always heard it pronounced as knee-ah-MY-ah. I prefer his pronunciation, and the name is much more interesting to me now.
    Current Favorites

Girls: Susannah, Mahalia, Tosca, Cassia, Jerusha, Jewel, Rose, Dove, Kate, and Eve
    Boys: Gideon, Gabriel, Rafael, Dominic, Benedict, Sam, Desmond, Theodore, Tobias, and Sebastian
    Guilty Pleasures: Aurelia, Cosima, Eowyn, Neytiri, Rukia / Remy, Gryffin, Gareth, Eddard, and Judah

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    I'd imagine that Jeremiah is more popular because of its similarities to Jeremy, Jerome, etc.
    This. "J" names are always popular for boys.

I prefer Nehemiah to Jeremiah. Nehemiah feels much fresher and lighter.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Dean ◊ Micah ◊ Gideon ◊ Tobias ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Edith ◊ Georgia ◊ Gwen ◊ Catherine ◊ Lydia ◊ Phoebe

I agre with the reasons above, it's similar to other traditional boys names and people seem to gravitate to J names. I don't like Jeremiah myself though (or any names that give the nickname "Jerry"), whereas I think Nehemiah is lovely (and though I hate the kids film, I really like the nickname Nemo!)
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier