Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2012 Quebec most popular names

Planning for baby... TTC... Big name lover and will ask a lot of questions about names!

I love Quebec's list. The silky French names that can blend almost seamlessly into English if the child ever decides to move. Not that I can think of any reason why they would want to!

I wouldn't have expected Laurence to be so popular for girls. It has a nice sound.
    new username @finch

Yes, Laurence is very popular here, pronounced the French way of course. Same with Charlie.
    Planning for baby... TTC... Big name lover and will ask a lot of questions about names!

Laurence is popular for girls in Quebec but parents seem to be staying clear of the boy version Laurent. This phenomenon matches what happens in other places. Once a boys name becomes popular for girls, parents avoid the names for their sons. I wonder why William is No#1 and not Guillaume? Lists from around the world are beginning to look the same to me so I'm glad to see some French names are still in the mix. Thanks for sharing!
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Laurence is popular for girls in Quebec but parents seem to be staying clear of the boy version Laurent. This phenomenon matches what happens in other places. Once a boys name becomes popular for girls, parents avoid the names for their sons. I wonder why William is No#1 and not Guillaume? Lists from around the world are beginning to look the same to me so I'm glad to see some French names are still in the mix. Thanks for sharing!
    Laurence is not a boys' name in French. It is the feminine form of Laurent and would never be used for a boy. Laurent is actually rising in popularity; in 2007, there were 118 babies named Laurent, and last year there were 156.

I love a lot of those girls names, including Florence (so much prettier in French), Anais, Camille.... Also like Emile and Alexandre from the boys' list. You can find the full list here: http://www.rrq.gouv.qc.ca/Interactif...aspx?langue=en
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova