Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Giving onlyone child two middle names?

what would you thnk about this?
    I’m just trying to behave as I think a friend should behave. Granted, I haven’t had much practice.

~Elphaba Thropp, Wicked, by Gregory Maguire

I don't think it matters too much. I think a lot of people have this perception that their children will feel left out if their names aren't structured like their siblings, but really I don't think that is all that true. It's become commonplace now in my family to give children two middle names (perhaps more by chance than by conscious decision) but I don't feel pushed out of the family. One of my cousins is pregnant with her third child, and I don't think he or she will have two middles like his/her siblings, but I doubt anyone will bat an eyelid over it. Every child in my family, before me and after me, was given a gold bracelet when they were born - except me. Personally I think that's more likely to make someone feel left out than a name decision, but I've never been genuinely bothered by it and I just laugh the whole thing off. Children are individuals, after all, and they do exist as a separate entity to the family unit, so I don't feel like parents should be bound by a certain rule.

Having said that, I wouldn't do it myself as I like things as uniform as possible personally, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

I don't think its much of a problem, my mum originally wanted to give me two middle names to honor her mum and my dad's...However Dad did not want to include his mother's name...So I only have one.

My younger brother on the other hand has two, at times I've felt a little envious but it isn't earth shattering.
    Marko | Susanna | Kit | Rosemary

It's not a huge deal, but I do know of instances where siblings have a different number of names and the one with fewer feels that they got ripped off. I'd say if your first has two middles, just throw in an extra for the other siblings. I'd think twice about giving a younger sibling multiple middles if an older sibling has one, but it's not the end of the world if they have different numbers.

I'm all about symmetry in naming and it would bother me a lot for one kid to have two middle names when the other doesn't. except.... if the two names are both really short (sort of like they combine in length to equal the other children's mn).
    Daisy Mae vs Charlotte etc.

(I feel the same way with different naming styles and extremely/obviously different origins like German and Japanese or something).
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).