Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby for a boy?

Ruby for a boy?

One of my sister's bf's is having a boy. They are thinking of the name Rubin Maynard which I actually like, but they want to use the nn Ruby. My sister is having trouble accepting this, but I told her that I think it's fine. Do you think with unisex names being used so much more, that Ruby will be socially accepted for a boy's name?

I think Ruby could totally work on a boy. I know in the US it was used on boys as late as the 1940's
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

I also really like Reuben nn Ruby. I think, given that Rudy is a well-known male name, Ruby can definitely work as a nickname. Perhaps more so as a family nickname than one expected to catch on at school and such, but it works nonetheless imo. I think as a full first, Ruby would be considered too feminine for a boy, but I think anything goes with nicknames and as a diminutive of Rubin I think it's quite handsome! ETA: Not so sure, but I feel like the spelling Rubi might help somewhat, being a direct contraction of Rubin.
    Last edited by genevie; April 28th, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

I would say NO. Ruby is rising in popularity for girls fairly quickly and I simply do not hear this as a unisex or masculine name. If I saw Ruby's name on a class roster, it would NEVER occur to me that it might not be a girl and I would guess other kids would expect a girl, too. To me, this is like naming a boy Lily.

I think Rudy would work, but not Ruby.