Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy528 View Post
    Thank you Ren! I fully stand by my comments that the general American public is dumb dumb dumb. I'm American so please allow me to talk smack all I want.
    No, because it's neither fair nor appropriate to call the "general" American public stupid. I'm sorry not everyone is as awesome as you and doesn't live in an area with abundant reading and learning resources.

This article was linked to in the article you posted.

Students scored an average of 288 out of 500 points in reading comprehension, two points above the 2005 score but still below the 1992 average of 292. Thirty-eight percent of 12th grade students were classified as at or above the "proficient" level, while 74 percent were considered at or above "basic."
    While test scores are still lower than what they should be, they're still rising, albeit slowly.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    No, because it's neither fair nor appropriate to call the "general" American public stupid. I'm sorry not everyone is as awesome as you and doesn't live in an area with abundant reading.
    Well this whole tangent is clearly not on track with the original poster's remarks. It's slightly farcical that you're so offended by a little self deprecation of American populous and the end products of our education system. I'm sorry too that not everyone can live in an area with abundant reading like me and that there are great literacy disparities in this country (Detroit as prime example being 47% illiterate). I'm glad test scores are going up, it's about d@mn time. Perhaps when I have children old enough for public education, our test scores can exceed those of the early 90s. Also, are you even American? Do you even work with the general public let alone the American general public? Unless you can answer yes to all three (I can), then please please drop it.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by poppy528 View Post
    Also, are you even American? Do you even work with the general public let alone the American general public? Unless you can answer yes to all three (I can), then please please drop it.
    I am American, yes (if you're in doubt, please search through previous threads on the Momberries forum). Not how that has to do with anything though. People can be knowledgeable about subjects that don't belong to their home country. \

I'm not sure how your last question is relevant to anything in this thread but yes, I do work with the American public.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Okay. I have strong feelings about these things.
    NO. OKAY? NO. If it has something to do with your culture or it's a popular and accepted thing where you live, then I will tolerate it. But if you are using it just to look cool and be ironically hipster, then I will probably lose all baby naming respect I have for you.

Well, this thread has certainly gone off the rails. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    We would spell the following thusly: encyclopaedia, archaeology and foetus. But I think the American spellings are encyclopedia, archeology and fetus. So I wonder what they'd make of Mæry?

American English spellings never cease to amaze me! Only the other day I learnt that they spell chilli 'chili'
    I'm American and I've seen it spelled 'archeology' and 'archaeology' equally by other Americans. Also, it really weirds me out to see 'foetus' but I'm inexplicably fine with 'encyclopaedia.' I'd pronounce Maery exactly the same as Mary.

You guys spell it 'chilli?' Weird. I never knew that.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr