Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 20 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    514
    Oh I love these fun extra little marks on letters! Americans are generally stupid of other languages. I think it's out of sheer ignorance that we don't allow accent marks (ñ and n are extremely different, but that is very very tricky); since we tend to read at a 5th grade level, keeping those marks out really levels the playing field. I've studied Hebrew, Spanish, French, and Latin, and I still can't get all the little marks right (try Hebrew vowels for a real trip).
    Attachment 1416
    I love them though, and Søren is 100% cooler than just ol' Soren. I honestly have no idea when or how to use æ and œ IRL with American English, but in a name, they intrigue me greatly.
    Last edited by poppy528; May 8th, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

  2. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy528 View Post
    Oh I love these fun extra little marks on letters! Americans are generally stupid of other languages. I think it's out of sheer ignorance that we don't allow accent marks (ñ and n are extremely different, but that is very very tricky); since we tend to read at a 5th grade level, keeping those marks out really levels the playing field. I've studied Hebrew, Spanish, French, and Latin, and I still can't get all the little marks right (try Hebrew vowels for a real trip).
    Attachment 1416
    I love them though, and Søren is 100% cooler than just ol' Soren. I honestly have no idea when or how to use æ and œ IRL with American English, but in a name, they intrigue me greatly.
    The average reading level of American adults is 7th-8th grade. Not sure where you got your 5th grade stat but it's wrong. Please stop trying to make Americans look stupid (Americans are generally stupid of other languages.) There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. You can claim that Americans are ignorant of other languages and I would not disagree with you about that.

    In the UK, nearly half the workforce has a reading level expected of children leaving primary school.

    ETA: There's a mention of diacritics in this paper:

    Prohibitions of accent marks and other diacritical marks are common. For example, the California Office of Vital Records provides a handbook to county vital records departments that states birth names can be recorded using only "the 26 alphabetical characters of the English language with appropriate punctuation if necessary." The handbook further specifies that "no pictographs, ideograms, diacritical marks" (including é, ñ, and ç) are allowed. Hence the prohibition of "Lucía" discussed in the Introduction. Kansas imposes similar restrictions. In Massachusetts, the "characters have to be on the standard American Keyboard. So dashes and apostrophes are fine, but not accent marks and the such." New Hampshire prohibits all special characters other than an apostrophe or dash. Accordingly, "O'Connor" is a permissible name in New Hampshire, but "Chacón" is not.
    Last edited by scarletrune; May 8th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

    Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

    Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

  3. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    In the UK, nearly half the workforce has a reading level expected of children leaving primary school.
    What have we got to do with this? O_o

    Poppy is an American I believe as she said 'we' when referencing the States.
    ~Boys~

    Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.


    ~Girls~

    Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.


    Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

  4. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    What have we got to do with this? O_o

    Poppy is an American I believe as she said 'we' when referencing the States.
    I only used the UK as a reference. I believe the average reading level in Canada is higher than both countries but I am having a hard time finding a good source for Canada.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

    Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

    Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    514
    Thank you Ren! I fully stand by my comments that the general American public is dumb dumb dumb. I'm American so please allow me to talk smack all I want.

    American High School Students Are Reading Books At 5th-Grade-Appropriate Levels: Report ... Not proof per se, I guess, but still I have very little hope that the American public is informed, capable of true critical thinking, or higher level understanding.
    Last edited by poppy528; December 31st, 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: partial post redaction
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •