Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I was named after my grandmother's maiden name, Reiné, but since accents aren't used on American documents, so my parents had to drop it and name me Reine- and instead of calling me something on the lines of Renee/Rain-ay call me Rainy. I really, really wish American forms allowed the use of accents, because most Americans know how the 'é' is pronounced.
    I do think more characters need to be allowed, especially in my heavily Hispanic influenced area.

Note: The only common word in American English that has the 'ae' spelling but pronounced 'ee' is orthopaedic. Messes me up every time.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    I see you're in London, but here in the US, we cannot use any marks on official forms. Curious to see if you can across the pond or any where else?
    Hmmm this confuses me because my family is very swedish and my great aunts are named Linnéa and Cârin pronunced Li-neer and Core-in. So how could we be the only ones allowed to use marks on official papers in the states?
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Quote Originally Posted by mnmemily15 View Post
    Hmmm this confuses me because my family is very swedish and my great aunts are named Linnéa and Cârin pronunced Li-neer and Core-in. So how could we be the only ones allowed to use marks on official papers in the states?
    Taken from the ssa.gov website:

SSA follows Public Law 100-235 when printing characters on SSN cards. This law requires all Federal databases to follow standards determined by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and to use the 26 letters of the alphabet without diacritical marks. (A diacritical mark is a mark added to a letter to give it a special phonetic value; e.g., the two dots placed over the letter “u”.)

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205125
    Last edited by dindlee; April 29th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

Oh I believe you but I'm just so confused because I've literally seen their birth certificates. My great aunt Linnéa and uncle Dick recently had to sell the family house because it's on a waterfront property in Mystic, CT (like the Julia Roberts move, Mystic Pizza) so it has very high taxes that they just couldn't afford anymore. While we were helping them pack up we found a lot of the old family photo albums and one was just an album with all the important papers and documents and such. There birth certificates had diacritic marks on their names.

Maybe a nurse let it slide? Or it was a long time ago?
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!

Mnmemily15- I did a lot of googling to find the above, and some states allow or let it slide on birth certificates. But it's a no-go on social security cards and passports.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014