Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Augh. This annoys me SO much. x_x

There's nothing wrong with using an accent mark (if you're allowed to on forms etc) providing you're using the correct accent mark. It's just sheer stupidity not to what with internet access these days. If I saw 'Chloé' written like that then I'd pronounce it 'clo-ay' and refuse to do otherwise because that's what it says. Getting the wrong mark is indeed tacky and uneducated.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly there. Despite the fact that Chloé may look far fancier than Chloë or Chloe, just as I like the look of the 'ӕ' in Maery/Maera, actually using them and then expecting people to follow an incorrect pronunciation just makes the user come across as uneducated and I'd be reluctant to pronounce the name their way.

Interesting that such marks can't be used in the US! Is there a particular reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by genevie View Post
    Interesting that such marks can't be used in the US! Is there a particular reason for that?
    I don't know. Does anyone know why we can't? As a Spanish speaker, it's really annoying personally, particularly for last names. For example, Nunez in Spanish would be pronounced very differently than Núñez, but we can't use the ñ or the ú.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    I see you're in London, but here in the US, we cannot use any marks on official forms. Curious to see if you can across the pond or any where else?
    Well we're still on your side of the pond, but up here in Canada we can use accents on official forms. I have an accent aigu in my middle name and it is visible in my printed name in my passport. I get annoyed when it's not used, because the accent does change the pronunciation.

As to using accents in names, I think it depends. If it's a name that typically has an accent (e.g., François) or that the parents want pronounced in a certain language (e.g., Béatrice vs Beatrice) than it makes sense, but if they're in a place like the US, they need to remember that many people won't necessarily know how to pronounce it. As to using it in unusual names to guide pronunciation (like say, Beyoncé), it doesn't bother me, but again not everyone will say it properly at first sight, even with the accent. But if you're just throwing accents in there and not even pronouncing them the way they're intended (like Chloé), sorry but it does look uneducated.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Slightly off topic but I'd always say clow-e rather than clow-a for Chloe.
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    Slightly off topic but I'd always say clow-e rather than clow-a for Chloe.
    And that would be fine because there's no accent to tell you any different (even though technically it should say Chloë). But é is pronounced 'ay'. So Chloé is always going to say 'clo-ay' and not 'clo-ee'
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!