Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

British Berries - Pronounce this name for me please!

I have loved the name Amarantha since I first discovered it. The look, the meaning, the poetic pedigree--everything. But, I'm not sure how to pronounce it. Since Richard Lovelace, who immortalized the name in his poem "Song to Amarantha, that she would Dishevel her Hair" http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173922, was English, I thought I should ask any of you berries from England to help me out. How would you pronounce "Amarantha"? Thanks! ~ a confused American

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

Well, I'm awful at pronouncing names correctly (Aloysius especially took me a very long time to work out...) but I would say am-uh-RAN-thuh. Good luck - it's a very pretty name!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe

a-muh-RAN-thuh!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

a-muh-RAN-thuh

Thanks! Am I right in thinking that the a's you're using are more of a flat "a" than an "ah"?

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )