Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Real Charmer

Quote Originally Posted by ciottolo View Post
    Does it immediately spring to mind to everyone, this Charmin toilet paper malarkey?
    In a word, yes. You can't watch an hour of television, really, without seeing the commercials. Charmin is everywhere.

I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare, although I have far from read all of his works. I haven't come across Charmian before, but my first thoughts were the toilet paper, and that Charmian must be a masculine form of Charmaine or something along those lines. While the -ian ending is used on both genders (Lillian, Vivian, etc. for girls; Julian, Lucian, Sebastian, Aurelian, Valerian, Florian, etc. for boys), it seems much more prevalent on boys. Straight off, it struck me as quite masculine, sorry. But hey, Shakespeare makes almost everything okay. Maybe you could use it as a MN if you find it not-so-usable as a FN?
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

I actually have no idea how to pronounce Charmian. I love the meaning and origin though!

*scrolled and found the pronounciation*

If its pronounced CAR-mee-un, why not spell it so that people can easily pronounce it? Carmian/Charmean? It actually sounds a lot like the name Carmen when you say it out loud. It also looks too similar to Charmaine or Charmin, so it can be both visually and verbally confusing!
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    But hey, Shakespeare makes almost everything okay.
    So true, haha Wow, I really must watch more television - I have indeed seen a Cushelle advert though (apparently, according to Wikipedia, it was rebranded in Europe a few weeks ago) and those are bad enough.

I love Shakespeare too (although like you, I haven't read nearly all of them) and Antony and Cleopatra is a particular favourite of mine so Charmian is a nice connection, despite her being only a minor character; Cleopatra's maidservant, so basically almost non-existent but still. It's Shakespeare. I do agree that it sounds quite masculine, and so together with the toilet paper fiasco and the potential confusion of Charmaine, I am resigned to it being a middle at most. *sigh* Thank you for commenting!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]

Quote Originally Posted by ciottolo View Post
    @niteowl - Oh bother. *googles* Eurgh, I've just googled it and apparently it's been rebranded in Europe to 'Cushelle'...but still, will people in England know? Thank you though, I would have had absolutely no idea!

Does it immediately spring to mind to everyone, this Charmin toilet paper malarkey?
    Yea it reminded me of the toilet paper too. I also misread it as Charmaine.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

@liviajoan - I know, the pronunciation is a little befuddling....okay, yes it is very confusing, and I can tell this toilet paper would come back to haunt me...and Charmaine as well. Never mind. It will go on the long list. Thank you!

@uselesskitty - I knew Charmaine would be a problem - in the original post, I actually typed Charmaine instead of Charmian every time (and just did it again, ahh) so it's catching. Thank you for commenting though!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel-------------------------------Recent Fancies: Mads [boy] & Roxana [girl]