Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Real Charmer

A Real Charmer

(I took about half an hour to come up with the pun in the title for anyone who appreciated it. Thank you.)

I have rediscovered a new name which has subsequently really caught my fancy - Charmian. It's Greek, it's Shakespearian, it's rare - what more could you ask from a name really? However, there is a slight problem. There is a name which is, to me, the epitome of all that is evil and hideous (because of a personal association...and also because I just hate it with a passion) which sounds very similar.

Charmaine/Sharmaine/Sharmayne/Shahrmayyne embodies everything I hate in a name. (Not sure why - does everyone have those names which are just unspeakably repugnant?) Anyway, since Charmaine and its posse of equally repelling spellings seem to be very popular at the moment, do you think Charmian would get confused for a rather more attractive mispelling? Would it be mispronounced as a result? Thanks Berries!

(Sorry to anyone called Charmaine or has a daughter/relation/close friend with the name. I just really dislike it for no apparent reason. Sorry.)

Her is my problem with Charmian. It looks like it could be confused with Charmin, the toilet paper.
    Last edited by niteowl13; April 28th, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling

@niteowl - Oh bother. *googles* Eurgh, I've just googled it and apparently it's been rebranded in Europe to 'Cushelle'...but still, will people in England know? Thank you though, I would have had absolutely no idea!

Does it immediately spring to mind to everyone, this Charmin toilet paper malarkey?

I read Charmian as Charmaine at first so I think there will be some confusion. You will probably have to correct people, but that happens all the time so use it if you love it.

Are you pronouncing it Car or Shar/Char?
    Mama to my dear little bear <3