Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Folic Acid?

Folic Acid?

I have just started taking a multivitamin with folic acid, and I'm about 6 weeks along. Can any of you moms reassure me that my babe is not going to be deformed, since I did not start taking the supp until this far along? Thank you >_<
    Married since June 2007, expecting our first child on Christmas Day, 2013

Darcy ~ Rowena ~ Hazel ~ Lorena ~ Leona ~

Eames ~ Miro ~ Bradbury ~ Duval ~ Marshall ~

I have been eating plenty of vegetables and meats and fats for the last few years (following the Primal Blueprint.) So I hope I have been naturally stocking up on the good stuff.
    Married since June 2007, expecting our first child on Christmas Day, 2013

Darcy ~ Rowena ~ Hazel ~ Lorena ~ Leona ~

Eames ~ Miro ~ Bradbury ~ Duval ~ Marshall ~

A folate deficiency is uncommon in a Western diet (which it sounds like you eat), your baby is probably fine.

Here are some foods that are very high in folate:

Leafy vegetables such as spinach, asparagus, turnip greens, lettuce and some Asian vegetables[79]
    Legumes such as dried or fresh beans, peas and lentils
    Egg yolk[80]
    Baker's yeast
    Fortified grain products (pasta, cereal, bread); some breakfast cereals (ready-to-eat and others) are fortified with folate
    Sunflower seeds
    Liver and liver products contain high amounts of folate
    Kidney[80]

These foods are moderate sources:

Certain fruits (orange juice, canned pineapple juice, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, grapefruit juice, banana, raspberry, grapefruit and strawberry) and vegetables (beets, corn, tomato juice, vegetable juice, broccoli, brussels sprouts, romaine lettuce and bok choy),[81] beer[82].

It might make you feel better if you know that you ate these things regularly before you got pregnant.
    Last edited by skarbassoona; April 27th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Mom to Henry, Mollie, Gideon, and expecting Clark Ebenezer in November.

Fetuses are marvelous little parasites. They take whatever they need from you, don't worry.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

The weekend before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I did everything you're not supposed to do... I drank alcohol, sat in a hot tub, ate brie and sushi, etc... I guess the only thing i didn't do waa smoke lol I found out I was 7 weeks pregnant right after that weekend! (I hadn't checked before that because I was on birth control... And was still taking it! Probably another thing you're not supposed to do..) I had definitely not been taking any supplements! And, now I have a very healthy, perfect 1.5 yr old. I'm sure your baby is fine!