Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you know of any literary created names?

Shakespeare created the names Miranda and Imogen. Jonathan Swift created Vanessa. Sir James Barrie invented Wendy. I love the idea of these names being so intrinsically connected to literature.

Do you know of any others that were created specifically for use in literature (I'm not going to count Renesmee )
    Mommy to one amazing Allegra Valentine, born May 2014.

Current name crushes: Daphne, Allegra, Rosalie, Minerva, Alistair, Jules, Ellington, Caspar

A lot of LoTR names are literary inventions, such as Eowyn, Aragorn and Legolas. Arwen, though, actually has Welsh origins.

Katniss is another choice, although it is also a plant.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I had no idea those names were invented in literature. The names that come to mind are some from the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin: Sansa, Daenerys, Rhaegar, Jaehaerys, Aegon, Aerys, Rhaegal, Stannis, Renly, Gendry, Selyse, Viserys, etc.

Those names aren't exactly popular so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Although I love Sansa and Renly and would consider using them.

I googled "names invented by writers" and these came up: Fiona, Jessica, Pamela, Cedric, Coraline, and Sabrina
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

I have read that the name Cora was invented by James Fenimore Cooper for the last of the mohicans
    Raquel-21 year old who loves names, books, and languages

Ladies: Catherine Isabella,Helena Margaret, Clara Josephine, Amelia Juliet, Louisa Genevieve, Eva Rosalind, Rose Fiammetta, Edith Lenore, Charlotte Rosamund, Eleanora Winter
    Gentlemen: Asher Frederick, Nicholas Hugo, Henry Oliver, William Grey, Matthew Isaiah, Thomas Alaric, George Everett

Araminta-Considered a coinage of either Sir John Vanbrough or William Congreve, who both used the name in their writing around the same time. This may suggest that it was a name before their use of it.
    Fiona-Invented by Scottish poet James MacPherson in the 1700s. Possibly his translation of the Gaelic name Fionn.
    Jessica-First found in this form as a character in Shakespeare's the Merchant of Venice. Perhaps inspired by the biblical name Iska.
    Pamela-Invented by Sir Phillip Sidney for his character in 'The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia' May have been a combination of the Greek words for all and honey
    Perdita-Another Shakespearian creation, taken from the Latin word perditus 'lost' and used for the heroine of his play "The winter's tale"
    Evangeline-First used by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for his poem "Evangeline" Evangeline comes from the Greek Eu-angela (Good News)
    Charmaine - It was first invented for a 1924 play "What Price Glory?" by Maxwell Anderson and Laurence Stallings
    Clea- Invented by author Lawrence Durrell for a character in his famous "Alexandria Quartet" (1958)

Cedric-Invented by Sir Walter Scott for his novel Ivanhoe, this name may have been a misread of Cerdic. Which is much less attractive than Scott's version of the name.
    Orville-Invented by writer Fanny Burney, who may have been trying to create a name that meant Gold City French (Or-Gold) (Ville-City)
    Percival-A name created by the poet Chrétien de Troyes for his poem Perceval, the story of the grail. A story based on Arthurian legend
    Caspian-Although this name was likely inspired by the Caspian Sea, it was first used as a given name by C.S. Lewis for a character in "The Chronicals of Narnia"
    Dorian-First used by Oscar Wilde for his famous novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray

Copied and pasted from a website, but a lot of these I really like! Especially Dorian, Caspian, and Fiona
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin