Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlettsmom View Post
    There was a contestant on a season of The Next Food Network Star named Linky. She was from, or her family was from, another country (not U.S.) but I don't remember which one. So it doesn't seem as outlandish to me as it might have if I'd never heard it before.
    Just Googled her. Mari-Leen Marais is from South Africa. Linkie is her nick name
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Thanks guys for your opinions. I really appreciate it. And I totally understand that some of you think it's awful but just as scarlettsmom said, no one ever questioned Katniss because Suzanne Collins sold the readers. That's what I have to do now lol.
    I understand that some of you think it sounds like a house elf (ex: Winky)
    I could not see Linky as Sparrow or Faith, and the name Linky just kind of came to me and it stuck. Now I can only see Linky as Linky and nothing else. Once I have something in my head it's hard to get out.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts.
    -Alexis-
    teen berry

Makes me think of Slinky...like the spring toy.
    I appreciate your confidence in your character's name, and think you could probably sell it...the thing I'd suggest is to give her a "real name" and use Linky as a nickname, especially if your character is from a realistic, non-fantasy/sci-fi setting, because Linky is not a name most parents would give their children. It doesn't have to be something that sounds obviously related, like Lindsey, but if you have some kind of story, you could make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by yolo199 View Post
    Thanks guys for your opinions. I really appreciate it. And I totally understand that some of you think it's awful but just as scarlettsmom said, no one ever questioned Katniss because Suzanne Collins sold the readers. That's what I have to do now lol.
    I understand that some of you think it sounds like a house elf (ex: Winky)
    I could not see Linky as Sparrow or Faith, and the name Linky just kind of came to me and it stuck. Now I can only see Linky as Linky and nothing else. Once I have something in my head it's hard to get out.

I really appreciate all of your thoughts.
    For the record, I've always hated 'Katniss.' It just sounds terrible and makes me think of Catnip, which is just a strange association in a book like that, even if 'grounded' culturally. She didn't sell the readers on the name, she sold them on the story. And I wasn't even sold on that.

Linky makes me think of: House elves. The Zelda game. Chains. Kinky. Binky, which is what we called our pacifiers when we were 2. Inky.

It just doesn't sound like anything. Not a name for a person, or even a word.

In your original quest for a name, what were you looking for? Something quirky, interesting, meaningful?

And, clearly, if you're asking for opinions on the name, you aren't dead set in it. If you were, opinions would be meaningless and you wouldn't even be inclined to ask.

Lark
    Orielle
    Ashka
    Keira
    Livie
    Penny
    Cora
    Wren
    Robin
    Jay
    Fern
    Fresia
    Rosa
    Lilac
    Quinn
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

The consensus seems to be that it's not good. But if you want to use it here's my opinion. Linky does sort of seem hipster, which is what your character is. I'd make Linky a nickname, and have real name something boring, old-ladyish, or overdone. For example Linky's real name could be something she hates like who knows: Ashley, Hortense, etc. I had a character I decided to call Green, sort of in the same boat, I gave her Amber for her real name and made a back story about how she got the nickname.
    Last edited by staplerwithteeth; April 28th, 2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo