Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WDYT of my character's name

My character's name has been decided:
    Linky.

Before you start the hate comments, I feel it fits well. Here is the character description:
    About 5'4'' tall, evergreen eyes
    She is pale with dimples and has glasses that look somewhat like hipster glasses, though Linky is not the kind of person who would get caught up with hipster status (I couldn't think of anything else to describe that.) She is also intelligent and wealthy but not stuck up or caught up her social status.
    I recently posted a forum asking for suggestions/thoughts on possible character names.
    I was dead set on Sparrow and I just couldn't see it on her.
    For some odd reason I was also thinking Faith. I go back and look at that post and think "Why??!!"

What to you think? Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, because it won't.
    Middle name suggestions?
    Long lost sibling name/middle name suggestions?

I'm 13 (almost 14 lol) just to let you guys know. I have seen a user who writes erotica (she is younger than me) and I'm assuring you that this is in no way, shape, or form erotica. AT ALL.

Thanks.
    All help is appreciated greatly.
    Last edited by yolo199; April 27th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Alexis Rene
    15 year old name addict
    reading, writing, coffee

Linky doesn't look right, I'm thinking more Linkie or maybe even Linki - though I'm not sure why. I also think that as a full name it's not very believable, as a nickname that is used all of the time though I'm sure it could work - maybe you could even put the back story of how she got the nickname into the main plot. I think Faith works well for her, so maybe she could be Faith with Linky as the nickname?
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I think it's awful, sorry. It's not a name. Lindsay maybe? Linky sounds like something JKRowling would name a house elf rather than a name parents would give to their daughter. :/
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Linky sounds like a boy's name, probably because Link is a boy's name. It also makes me think of characters named Dinky and Stinky, who are nerdy characters who never make good. It doesn't sound like a main character name. (Sparrow also sounds boy to me, since the most famous Sparrow is a boy. Faith doesn't sound right for this character.)

I would suggest the name Teagan, with the nickname Teeny.

There was a contestant on a season of The Next Food Network Star named Linky. She was from, or her family was from, another country (not U.S.) but I don't remember which one. So it doesn't seem as outlandish to me as it might have if I'd never heard it before.

I just gave this advice to a different poster, but I think it fits. Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games. No one ever heard the name Katniss before these books. If you heard the name with no context, you might think "ugh" but Collins was really smart in that she "grounded" the name in the story. We heard that her father told her "find yourself, and you'll never go hungry" because Katniss is an edible plant, which totally fits the story world, and we also saw characters tease her about it, calling her "Catnip" occasionally, which takes care of a complaint against it and gives any reader that might have been thinking it an "in-joke" with the characters. If you can use these same techniques in your story, you'll "sell" the reader on it and it won't be an issue.