Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    I'm a bit of of a 'hippy' at heart and would love a bright, sunny surname with a nomadic air.

Sol would be nice.
    new username @finch

Quote Originally Posted by genevie View Post

And now I'm going to squeeze in a little off topic question! I'm going to assume that you're a fan of Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire / both from your signature I planned on reading the book before I watched the TV show but I gave in and watched the whole first season two days ago. Honestly, perhaps it's because I never give TV my full attention, but I felt as if I didn't fully understand the ins and outs of everything that was going on, and there were too many characters for me to keep up with! Would you suggest that I still read the books, and are they likely to make me understand the show a little better? I would like to enjoy it more than I am now!
    Butting in to say reading them will help! I am catching up on reading them but my husband has read them and it was lovely/very helpful to be able to ask him things when we started the show. I feel like it made me love the show so much more since we could pause it and I could quickly ask him any questions and get a better sense of what was happening and who was who.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3

Quote Originally Posted by genevie View Post
    I felt the same way about changing my surname; it was a hyphenated surname but given that my father contributed nothing of worth to my name I now just go by the first part (my mother's surname) and plan to legally drop the last part when I can afford to replace my passport etc! But after that I felt that my surname just didn't flow with my first name at all, probably because it now felt somewhat incomplete (imagine being Anderson and then suddenly becoming Ander). For a while I did consider changing it to my grandmother's maiden name, Wakefield. However, I eventually happened across the meaning (it means "cock", as in the animal, and was an Italian nickname for someone cocky or vain back in the day) and I found it so amusing that it gave me a new appreciation for the name. Perhaps I'll change it when I marry, but for now I've become pretty content with it. Not sure if you could find any aspect of your surname that you like, be it origin or meaning, but fingers crossed that marry upwards in the realm of surnames!

And now I'm going to squeeze in a little off topic question! I'm going to assume that you're a fan of Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire / both from your signature I planned on reading the book before I watched the TV show but I gave in and watched the whole first season two days ago. Honestly, perhaps it's because I never give TV my full attention, but I felt as if I didn't fully understand the ins and outs of everything that was going on, and there were too many characters for me to keep up with! Would you suggest that I still read the books, and are they likely to make me understand the show a little better? I would like to enjoy it more than I am now!
    Funny you mention Wakefield as that was a name I accidentally left off of my list! I was obsessed with the Sweet Valley books when I was younger and that was the two main characters last name. I just loved it! Then on the first day of school in 7th grade I saw a girl with the last name and decided I wanted to be her friend only because her last name was Wakefield! She later became one of my best friends and it's funny to us now.

My last name is Thomas and it isn't that bad, but it's so commonly used as a first name I feel like Alyssa Thomas is ridiculous. Doesn't really flow, doesn't have a ring to it and it sounds so masculine next to my first name. I don't know why I dislike it so much. Although I have come to appreciate a bit more because I adore the actor Tom Hiddleston. He's made me come around a bit to the name as a boys name, but I still dislike it as a last name, especially for me.

I would definitely suggest you read the books. When I first watched the show I had no intention of reading the books because they are all 1000+ pages and it's adult fantasy which isn't really my style. I tend to stick with young adult dystopian, supernatural, or classic literature like Jane Austen. So I was completely content with just watching the show, but a few things happened that I didn't expect. Number one, I loved the show so much! I needed more of it. Also, so many fans of the book series convinced me to read the books. It's kind of like Harry Potter in my eyes. You can only get so much from the movies. The books are a whole new experience.

I was worried about not being able to keep track of the characters and plot lines, but it was surprisingly easy. It did help that I enjoyed every bit of reading it so I wasn't bored at all, never had to fight to keep reading. I watched the first two seasons before reading the books and I found that was actually really enjoyable because I knew what was going to happen and reading about it was exciting. I did read the third book before the third season (which is airing right now) and I am so happy I did because so much goes on and it's such an amazing book.

So I would definitely recommend reading the books especially if you are a reader. There's so much more about the characters you get from the books. Some wonderful quotes (including the one in my signature - it was so hard choosing one!). Also, the books are so pro-feminism it's amazing.

If you do plan on reading the books I would definitely recommend at least reading book 3 (A Storm of Swords) before watching the 3rd season because that was such a great experience and I would have definitely regretted it if I had seen the season before reading it. Oh, and if you don't want to be spoiled on anything avoid googling ANYTHING!

And feel free to message me any time about the books or show.
    “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
    -George R.R. Martin

alyssa ϟ twenty-one ϟ usa ϟ name lover

If I ever have a baby, I would name him or her:
    Charlotte Matilda |Augustus Henry

Anastasia Louise, Clara Penelope, Amelia Caitlin / Aiden James, Jase Alexander, Renly Isaac
    +more

Quote Originally Posted by jc54 View Post
    I've always been obsessed with french names. My ultimate surname would be Deveraux. If I could be Francine Monet Deveraux I would be in heaven,
    I love Deveraux, too. Actually, I'm a fan of French surnames and first names as well. I could totally imagine a cooler version of myself having it Sigh.....

And I think German names can be very pretty and magical too. And they're so stoic and strong!
    ~Izzy, looking for a new nickname
    Currently Loving: Romilly, Esme, Piper, Helia, Scout..Rhett, Colin, Rhys, Adrian, Jonah

I've always thought of changing my surname, but I more focused on changing my first. I feel I suit Ellis 100%, whereas I don't like anything about my first name at all.

Also a lover of German surnames!
    [FONT=Times New Roman]
    [CENTER]~Ebony~
    ----------------------------
    [COLOR="#66cc33"]Ignatius - Jasper - Hugo - Edmund - Henry - Oliver - Rupert - Felix - Percy - August - Atticus - Amias - Otto - Barnaby - Arthur - Ezra - Hector - Charles[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#cc99cc"]Antigone - Hermione - Harriet - Cordelia - Violet - Persephone - Beatrice/Beatrix - Clementine - Ottilie - Florence - Octavia - Drusilla - Agnes - Ida - Matilda - Xanthe[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]
    [SIZE=1]Previously ebonyeden[/SIZE]

[RIGHT][SIZE=1]avatar is my 8th great grandmother.[/SIZE][/RIGHT][/font]