Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm very pro-popular. Doesn't mean I have to love every popular name out there but I don't think people should write off names just because they're in the top 5000, or whatever ridiculous cut off point people have. Here's my reasons for why:

- Popular names are popular for a reason
    - They will almost always be spelt and pronounced correctly
    - Generally, most people like popular names. Not everyone will get behind Myfanwy or Naphtali.
    - There's no guarantee that they will become Jacob A. or Ava H.
    - And there's no guarantee that they won't become Nicodemus A. or Phaedra H.
    - Top names are getting increasingly less popular percentage-wise
    - For people bothered about personalised items- they're easier to find
    - Some unusual names are very much associated with one person as PPs have said
    - What's so bad with sharing your name? I thought it was quite cool as a kid

I'd never rule out a popular name if I liked it. Look at my signature (save Morwenna)! But in my whole life I've only ever come across ONE William and no Josephs, Roses or Elizas

I guess it means what you mean by popular and unpopular names, but I'll give it a shot.

Top 10 Names I had a Top 10 Name for the year I was born (Tiffany). I often had other Tiffanys in my class. Once, there were 5 of us in one class... which meant we were going by our last names. Also, people tend to create an idea of what a person with these names should be like... because everyone knows someone with that name. For instance, few people have a clear stereotype of Oriana... but many people have one of Tiffany, because it was more popular. At the same time, these names are rarely mispronounced, and most people like them. You'll never have to worry about weird looks or discrimination.

Popular Names Most people go for these... because they are familiar enough that people have heard of them, but still won't lead to your child being one of five Brians in the class. However, just because a name is currently popular doesn't mean it will be later. Moreover, whenever there are jokes about names (i.e. "Why do gay guys get all the manly names, like Bruce and Steve?"), the names are normally either Top 10 or popular.

Unpopular Names I divide this into 3 categories... 1) Unusual because you may be illiterate, you butchered the spelling of the name so badly. 2) You somehow mistook your child's gender, and gave them a gender-inappropriate, non-unisex name. 3) Classic or ethnic names that are unusual, but have history and meaning. The first 2 categories, I obviously look down on. I graduated from an Ivy League school for my master's. I actually heard employers openly mocking a girl for her gender-inappropriate name. While people often say it doesn't happen... it does. Most people are simply polite enough not to do it to your face. Sometimes names in the first 2 categories are also associated with a low socioeconomic status... so it can be like labeling your kid. I don't recommend that. While people should not stereotype based on names... they do. After all, it's one of the first things they know about you. It is an integral part of your first impression. As for the 3rd category, they can tie you to something unique, and give a unique sense of history and/or individualism. However, you may encounter people who don't know how to pronounce your name. Moreover, the probability of people disliking the name is much higher. Unusual names, however, are not permanently exiled to obscurity. Names tend to cycle, so your name may eventually become popular.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I think it may also be worth noting the relative commonness or obscurity of your surname. For example I have an incredibly uncommon surname (as in, if you have it we're definitely related) and I feel like that probably allows more freedom to choose a relatively common name because the likelihood of the child sharing their full name with someone else is basically zero. My SO on the other hand has an extremely common (think top 10) first and last name, and there is actually a group on Facebook someone started of just people that share that FN-LN combo and it has hundreds of members. While he doesn't seem to mind that I know I would hate it as it seems somehow lacking in identity and thoughtfulness.

The surname consideration is a good point. It's not necessarily a good thing to be the only person in the world with your first name-last name combination, because every stupid thing you do on the Internet will be easily found with a Google search, and for an indeterminate amount of time. I do think many common names sound more interesting when paired with an unusual surname than they do paired with a common one.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    I'm very pro-popular. Doesn't mean I have to love every popular name out there but I don't think people should write off names just because they're in the top 5000, or whatever ridiculous cut off point people have. Here's my reasons for why:

- Popular names are popular for a reason
    - They will almost always be spelt and pronounced correctly
    - Generally, most people like popular names. Not everyone will get behind Myfanwy or Naphtali.
    - There's no guarantee that they will become Jacob A. or Ava H.
    - And there's no guarantee that they won't become Nicodemus A. or Phaedra H.
    - Top names are getting increasingly less popular percentage-wise
    - For people bothered about personalised items- they're easier to find
    - Some unusual names are very much associated with one person as PPs have said
    - What's so bad with sharing your name? I thought it was quite cool as a kid

I'd never rule out a popular name if I liked it. Look at my signature (save Morwenna)! But in my whole life I've only ever come across ONE William and no Josephs, Roses or Elizas
    I have never found anyone explain my sentiments quite so perfectly. If you love Naphtali... use it. By the same token if your child is an Emma, use it as well. My own favorite names, Zoe and Lucas, are 31 and 29 respectively, yet I have yet to meet one. I hated that no one had my name when I was growing up.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014