Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Private vs Public Schooling

Firstly, we live in Australia so our schooling may be different to wherever you live, but if you have an opinion let me know!

Basically I'm just wondering... What type of school does/will your children attend? Pro's and Con's of either? Single Sex or Co-ed?

I'm asking because I had an unusual schooling experience, my husband and I both grew up on Cattle Station's in Central Australia. My home was around 200km from the nearest town so I couldn't go to proper school as a child. I had a private tutor who lived on our property for my younger years of schooling and when off to a "elite" Boarding School for my teen years. My hubby did the exact same thing although his mum taught him during his childhood. However, my husband and I live in a city now so Bugsy will need to got to a proper primary school.

Most of the schools around where we live, both public and private, have waiting lists. Although Bugsy is only 2 I've been contemplating Primary Schools (Elementary in the US), I want to get in early so I know we wont be left without a place. Depending on the school he may even attend Kindergarten there. Our circle of friends are mostly well-educated academics and prefer private, but I'm not easily influenced and have an open mind to either.

I understand people may be very opinionated and get defensive when it comes to schooling for their children, we all want the best we can provide! But please refrain from getting too heated

Lila
    Last edited by goldielocks; April 27th, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Mama to Bugsy William and Jem Richmond.

I grew up in the suburbs of Sydney and attended a co-ed Systemic Catholic primary school and for High School I went to an Independent Catholic all girls school.

I know quite a few people who have been home schooled as well as those who did a mix of both home schooling then boarding school.
    Most of these people lived in Rural Victoria & NSW. I only know two families that lived in Sydney and chose to home school their kids.

With private vs public schools I suppose it depends on what your comfortable with and also what financial position your in.
    Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena -Enid
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Edmund - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Peregrine - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

I'm a teacher (in Australia) and have taught in both systems. My children will definitely be going to private schools. I'm also keen on the idea of single sex education. I'll write more tomorrow when I'm not on my phone, but I've found so many positives to good private schools. Not necessary the most expensive elite ones, but those with a great atmosphere and ethos. Compared to even very good public schools, they're better. I've taught at two all girls schools and I can't imagine not sending my daughter to an all girls school. Can't comment on all boys, but I imagine it's much the same.
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Here, the term public school can be synonymous with private school Comprehensives and faith schools are the general schools and then we still have some grammar schools as well. ((Maybe another Brit can expand on this? I'll confess I don't know the exact differences between them all))

I went to a mixed Catholic primary school and high school which was up there rivalling the private schools in terms of examination grades.

My primary school was a TINY village countryside school and consisted of around eighty pupils in total from reception (4-5) up to year six (10-11). It had its good points and bad points. I remember loving our church processions and woodland walks and more focussed time with the teachers (especially one who valued intelligence over beauty ) but there was also the problem of isolation, if you fell out with your friends (or everyone thought you were weird and didn't want to be friends with you...) then there weren't really any other friendship options and you had to go around by yourself at break times. Three of us, myself included (out of twelve in my year) left with perfect Sats grades (sats are nationwide tests in english, science and maths that we took at 7, 11 and then 14, don't know if they still do them).

Coming from such a small school and going into high school was a culture shock even though it was just at the end of the lane where the countryside met the town. It wasn't huge at all, less than one thousand pupils in total, but to us it felt massive. The teachers were good (mostly nice!) and I loved learning but I was bullied relentlessly throughout the entire five years I spent there. On a school trip to New York I was once told, by a teacher no less, that no one had wanted me in their room and that I should be grateful to the bullies for allowing me to sleep there...

Anyway, despite all the bullying and loneliness I know I had an excellent education at both establishments. I really don't know how my kids will be schooled other than it will definitely be at a school rather than home schooling. If I have the money perhaps I'd opt for private? It all depends on how my future pans out. Even though the standard of education might only be marginally different from comprehensive to private I whole heartedly believe that there are far more opportunities for your future at a private school.
    Last edited by renrose; April 27th, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Commas popping up in places they don't belong >:(
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I live in America, so I'm sure it's quite different but I'll put my two cents in:

My child will likely go to public school - unless at the time they start school we're living in an area of the city (New York City) with "bad" schools. The quality of the schools here vary a lot, they're judged by standardized testing and money, but having grown up in the system I know the level of dedication of both staff and students vary drastically from school to school.

As a child, I attended public pre-kindergarten/preschool, and grades Kindergarten and first, then was switch for 2nd-5th grades to private (ages 7-10), then back to public for middle and high school (11-18). That is something I definitely will not be doing with my children - they will attend EITHER public school OR private school, but definitely not switch between the two. It was incredibly difficult for me to adjust to public school, and to this day I consider it a traumatizing experience.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13