Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    Here's a link to an article about girls performing better in single sex schools. It's an article from a British newspaper. Couldn't be bothered finding an Australian version or a link to a study, but I'm sure they're out there!:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...s-gcse-results
    There is a public school in my area that is trialing separate sex classes. The two groups of students split time between teachers, one teacher teaches language arts and science and the other teaches math and social studies. The only time the two sexes interact at school are for lunch and classroom breaks. It seems to give the girls the self confidence and and self esteem they need in the classroom and also gives the boys a chance to mature and gives all students the the ability to focus on their studies without the distraction of the opposite sex that comes along at that age.

Right now, our first choice is to home school. If we don't home school, I'm really interested in sending our children to a public school about 20 minutes away, which is school of choice and in the city where my husband works. They're the "inner city" school that gets a bad rap but one school in particular (the one I'm most interested in) is ranked #2 in the state (top 2% in the nation). It's a test school and Center for Economicology and an International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma Programme World School. The school isn't perceived as diverse but there's a big mix of kids that attend, which I like.

At this point, I'm not sure we'd choose a private school just because we have so many wonderful public school and charter options. The local private schools aren't too expensive though and we could afford to send them there, if we thought it would be beneficial. Extracurricular programs aren't as important to us as the academic programs offered at a school.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm in the US, and I'm sure our system is quite different from Australia's, but I will go ahead and share my thoughts.

I attended public schools from Pre-Kindergarten all the way through my first year of high school, and to be quite honest every school I went to was sub-par (keep in mind that I grew up in upper-middle-class neighborhoods in a large Texas city). Although there were many good teachers, they were overworked by large class sizes and being forced to design their curriculum around standardized tests: therefore unable to provide each student individualized attention. However, I do know some people who thrived in public schools, it just wasn't the right option for me.

I was homeschooled for my last three years of high school; I absolutely loved it! It worked well for me because I got to learn at my own pace and study things that interested me. I also got to do a great deal of travelling during that time as well. Although homeschooling was right for me, I do realize that it might not be the best choice for every family. For homeschooling to work, there has to be enough resources for the child to learn properly, and they must also be very self-motivated and be able to learn/study independently.

As for my own future children, I have several options in mind: either homeschooling, Waldorf/Steiner or Montessori are the most likely choices. I would never send my children to public school (at least not in the US) although I would possibly consider a charter school.

The bottom line is that every child is different and a type of schooling that works for one might not work for another. Do what is best for you and your family and don't mind what anyone else has to say about it.
    Last edited by amelieamour; April 28th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidura View Post
    My state, California, is 41st in the nation for public education.
    This is terrifying to me. I feel like I need to start figuring out my child's schooling, like, right now!
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfmama View Post
    This is terrifying to me. I feel like I need to start figuring out my child's schooling, like, right now!
    Some individual public schools may be really great. It's just overall the schools are in dire need of an overhaul. Hey, maybe they'll be better in 5/6 years. But I'm not holding my breath, lol.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

Neither am I.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau