Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviasarah View Post

A very high percentage of my primary were either from lower-income or 1st generation immigrant families (ie. poor or non-English speaking) and there was a huge level of tolerance and kindness, which is something I feel that privately educated children are not exposed to enough. There were parts of the school week dedicated to Arabic, Pakistani, Polish, Nigerian, especially for non-English speaking children. I was never afraid of the 15 minute walk through the council estate on the way home, like my parents' friends thought I should have been. After all, 'those people' are all 'thugs and murders', are they not?
    I just don't think that it's healthy for children to be only exposed to a certain type of people ie. upper class and white-British. That's not the real world, and young, easily influenced children shouldn't be taught that it is.
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying, and I don't know what it is like where you live, but in all of the private schools I have seen, there are children of all ages of every nationality attending. Many schools have international events like the one you described in your post. And I will say this again: Children can attend private schools and still have plenty of time to interact with people of all classes and backgrounds. If a child is used to only interacting with one group of people, then that is the fault of the parents, not their school.
    ~Izzy, looking for a new nickname
    Currently Loving: Romilly, Esme, Piper, Helia, Scout..Rhett, Colin, Rhys, Adrian, Jonah

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    @ottilie And as someone that went to state schools, it bugs me that some people that didn't look down upon them, think they can’t achieve academically, think they have fewer opportunities & all the other stuff people have said.
    Ugh, I'm so sleep deprived, my brain isn't working and I see I left out about half of what I was going to say. I think all schools should be free and good, and people should be able to choose what kind of school they send their kids to. It isn't like that, unfortunately. I have several friends who went to good state schools and did very well. I have friends who went to private school and did terribly. As I said; I haven't done a lot of research on state schools yet, but from what I gather there aren't a lot of good ones around where I live. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I'm not going to send my daughter to a school I don't know about just for the principle of it. However, if I do find a good state school in Central/North London, who knows. For now it looks like I'll take her the Steiner way because that's something I'm familiar with. I like the way they approach education, play and development. I'm not sure after secondary school, I might very well want her to go to a grammar school (my brother went to a very good one of these) but I just started my research project and I'm tired from my daughter not sleeping and I'm not thinking clearly. So forgive me if this was completely unreadable.

To sum up: I don't think state school is bad, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones. And if we move to Cornwall, please send me a list of good schools you know!

(I also want to add that my mother, my sister, two of my aunts and one cousin are teachers. In state schools.)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Ugh, I'm so sleep deprived, my brain isn't working and I see I left out about half of what I was going to say. I think all schools should be free and good, and people should be able to choose what kind of school they send their kids to. It isn't like that, unfortunately. I have several friends who went to good state schools and did very well. I have friends who went to private school and did terribly. As I said; I haven't done a lot of research on state schools yet, but from what I gather there aren't a lot of good ones around where I live. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I'm not going to send my daughter to a school I don't know about just for the principle of it. However, if I do find a good state school in Central/North London, who knows. For now it looks like I'll take her the Steiner way because that's something I'm familiar with. I like the way they approach education, play and development. I'm not sure after secondary school, I might very well want her to go to a grammar school (my brother went to a very good one of these) but I just started my research project and I'm tired from my daughter not sleeping and I'm not thinking clearly. So forgive me if this was completely unreadable.

To sum up: I don't think state school is bad, I'm sure there are plenty of good ones. And if we move to Cornwall, please send me a list of good schools you know!

(I also want to add that my mother, my sister, two of my aunts and one cousin are teachers. In state schools.)
    Didn't mean to target you with the first line of that post! It's what other people on and off of NB have said before- I just meant that I get bugged too! I think you said in your first post in this thread that you didn't think state schools were bad... or something like that, so I knew you weren't totally against them. And I don't think private schools are all bad myself. We just have our preferences Good luck with researching and I hope little Roo lets you get some rest!
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

We happen to live near some amazing public schools right now so if we stay in the area, we will send our children to public schools/ magnet schools depending on their interests. I am definitely open to private if that is the better academic option for our kids wherever we end up. My husband had a bad experience at a private Christian school -limited classes, teachers weren't always hired because they knew their subjects well, very clicky and small student group, not a lot of extracurricular options and on and on, so academics, diversity, and opportunities are huge priorities for us.
    Mama to my dear little bear <3

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Didn't mean to target you with the first line of that post! It's what other people on and off of NB have said before- I just meant that I get bugged too! I think you said in your first post in this thread that you didn't think state schools were bad... or something like that, so I knew you weren't totally against them. And I don't think private schools are all bad myself. We just have our preferences Good luck with researching and I hope little Roo lets you get some rest!
    Sweetie, I didn't think you were attacking me! We're Brits and gentlewomen, we don't attack one another. Or do we...?

Also, I meant after primary school, not after secondary school...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]