Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Louis is loo-ee to me too. I think it's a Brit thing though (and we're the only ones who are awake right now ).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I know 3 boys named Louis, 2 of them saying it like Lewis, one using the nn Louie. The other pronounced it Louie but ended up being called Lewis as a nickname. If I saw Louis on paper I would guess it's pronounced Lewis until told otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Louis is loo-ee to me too. I think it's a Brit thing though (and we're the only ones who are awake right now ).
    Yay awake! Lol. Yeah I say Louis as 'lou-ee' and Lewis as 'loo-is'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Louis has always been LOO-iss, to me and I'm English. I know that Louis in French is Loo-ee but I'm not sure about other European countries, I think in England US Louis would be pronounced like Lewis. And although I dislike the look of Louie and think it is very nickname-y, I think it would be better to use that if you want the Loo-ee pronunciation.
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I used to pronounce it as Louie, because I went to primary school with a Louis prn Louie so that was what I was used to. However, one of my first year university flatmates had a friend who came over frequently called Louis prn Lewis so now I kind of alternate between the two. I believe Louie is the traditional French way of saying it, at least the French kings were Louis prn Louie anyway. Louis I think is kind of an Anglicisation of the name.

Personally, if I was naming, I'd go Lewis for that prn and Louis for Louie. Louie just looks too nicknamey to me in its spelling.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George