Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Louis is loo-ee to me too. I think it's a Brit thing though (and we're the only ones who are awake right now ).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I know 3 boys named Louis, 2 of them saying it like Lewis, one using the nn Louie. The other pronounced it Louie but ended up being called Lewis as a nickname. If I saw Louis on paper I would guess it's pronounced Lewis until told otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Louis is loo-ee to me too. I think it's a Brit thing though (and we're the only ones who are awake right now ).
    Yay awake! Lol. Yeah I say Louis as 'lou-ee' and Lewis as 'loo-is'.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Louis has always been LOO-iss, to me and I'm English. I know that Louis in French is Loo-ee but I'm not sure about other European countries, I think in England US Louis would be pronounced like Lewis. And although I dislike the look of Louie and think it is very nickname-y, I think it would be better to use that if you want the Loo-ee pronunciation.
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I used to pronounce it as Louie, because I went to primary school with a Louis prn Louie so that was what I was used to. However, one of my first year university flatmates had a friend who came over frequently called Louis prn Lewis so now I kind of alternate between the two. I believe Louie is the traditional French way of saying it, at least the French kings were Louis prn Louie anyway. Louis I think is kind of an Anglicisation of the name.

Personally, if I was naming, I'd go Lewis for that prn and Louis for Louie. Louie just looks too nicknamey to me in its spelling.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George