Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    The land of cheese, brats, and boring flat land
    I live in a town where it's predominantly pronounced Louie, but it's not unheard of to meet a Louis prn Lewis either. It really depends on the parents' knowledge of French pronunciation and heritage.
    ~Vincent Rosalind~

Lovely Ladies~Cecilia, Avis, Henrietta "Etta", Katherine, Imogen, Evangeline

Dashing Gentlemen~Ezra, Harrison, Noel, Matthew, Peter, Anderson, Roan

I pronounce Louis as loo-iss as it's my grandfathers name, and that's how he pronounces it. I'm also a Brit, though I live in the North East so I don't know if that has any bearing on things. I have Louie on my list spelt this way to honour my grandpa (and also to avoid pronunciation issues!) so I think it's lovely.
    Eleanor, Violet, Grace, Milena, Polly, Marnie, Lila, Katharine, Serena.
    Flynn, William, Henry, Finn, Louie, Theodore, Walter, Jude, Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    I think in the U.S. Louis is generally Lewis. Louis as Louie seems to be the French influence... so I think we Anglicized it.
    I agree with this. If it were a francophone I would assume it is Louie, but an anglophone would seem like Lewis.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

I default to saying Louis like Lou-ee, because my dad is francophone and this is a family name. I was totally baffled when I found out that St. Louis, MO, is pronounced St. Lewis. (In fairness, in the song "Meet Me In St. Louis, Louis" pronounces it Lou-ee. Totally confusing!)
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I'm from the US and generally think "Lewis" when I see "Louis" but I'm also inclined to ask about the pronunciation on that one just to be sure. Even here, there are cities pronounced "Louie-ville" and cities pronounced "Lewis-ville" so I think it can go either way.