Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MC doubts

It's set in modern day America, but she's not exactly human.
    ~ Sadiya Hope & Wendy Monroe ~ 10/18/08 ~
    ~Phillipa Ellen Gray~ 2/14/13 ~
    ----
    | Louise | Helena | Carmen | Eileen | Rose | Vesper | Bridget | Lourdes | Jane | Katia |
    | Phoenix | Peter | August | Felix | Bennett | Dimitri | Xavier | Mack | Ty | Walter |

It's all relative. If Suzanne Collins had taken a poll about using the name Katniss in the Hunger Games, I doubt people would have been very supportive. She did use it and she grounded it (so to speak) by giving it a backstory (her father telling her "find yourself and you'll never go hungry") and she also took care of the main complaint against it by having other characters tease her (calling her "Catnip" occasionally.) It certainly didn't hurt her sales any! LOL

You may not need to "sell" your readers on the name (people tend to accept names much better when they're already set in stone) but it couldn't hurt, especially since you've had some negative reactions already.

@gwen5: since she's not exactly human, I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by star_girl View Post
    @gwen5: since she's not exactly human, I'd say go for it.
    ^This exactly.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I'd say have that be her "real name," if she's not human, but maybe have an alias or something if she's going to be corresponding with a lot of normal humans.