Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Fantastic Names From Round 1 of the 2013 NFL Draft

I am a huge, huge fan of the NFL. I don't suspect there are many others like me here on this board. Yesterday, one of my friends made a joke about me being out of the NFL draft loop because I have been spending so much time on the baby name blogs and boards recently. And I told her that, yeah, the NFL doesn't really come up too much on NB

Well, yesterday was Round 1 of the NFL draft, and let me tell you, there were some fantastic men with some even more fantastic names drafted from college into the NFL. I was hoping to find some naming inspiration among the NFL class of 2013 for my soon-to-be baby. I joked with my family that I would name my son (if baby is a he) after the Green Bay Packers 1st round pick. I was crossing my fingers that it would be a good one, and a good one it was! The newest member of my Packer team is Datone Jones. It works wonderfully as the name of an NFL defensive end, but for my little baby, perhaps not....

I wanted to list some of the best names of the 32 players to be drafted in round 1. There are really some good ones, and I know that although most of them are not NB classic names by any means, I did find some of my own personal gems. I am wondering if the moms and dads of these players had NFL hopes for their sons when they named them, because I swear some of these guys were destined, by name alone, to be in the NFL.

Dion Jordan
    Ziggy Ansah
    Jarvis Jones
    Star Lotulelei
    Tavon Austin
    Desmond Trufant
    Datone Jones
    Sylvester Williams
    Cordarrelle Patterson
    Bjoern Werner
    Xavier Rhodes
    Lane Johnson
    Dee Milliner
    Chance Warmak
    Sheldon Richardson
    Sharrif Floyd
    DeAndre Hopkins

And my all-time favorite, best NFL name, and maybe best name ever......
    Barkevious Mingo!

I am in love with that one. Of course, it takes a world class athlete to pull off a name like that, but it IS fabulous none-the-less.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Javis Jones I actually kinda like!

How is Datone pronounced? Like Dayton or duh-tone?

wow, Cordarrelle is crazy different and Barkevious sounds like a joke.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Re: Datone

I am trying to figure out exactly, but I think Duh-tone. Duh-tone Jones.

I want to figure out the story behind Barkevious. I am sure it's not just a random name that was pulled out of nowhere. There's got to be a family or cultural meaning to it.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Xavier and Lane are my faves.

Jarvis, Desmond, Sheldon, Bjoern and Sylvester are ok.

The rest I'm not crazy about at all (sorry but in my opinion Barkevious isn't the best - it's one of the worst along with Cordarrelle).
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I like Jarvis Jones the best, AND he is now part of the Steelers!! (My SO is from Pittsburgh)