Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ♥ My family is complete, I love helping with baby names and discussing names. ♥

My favourites are Xavier, Desmond, and Jarvis, plus I also have a soft spot for Bjoern and Dion (probably because my hockey team's captain is named Dion).

Not a fan of Star on a guy. Cordarrelle sounds kind of feminine to me, and Barkevious is just... wow.

According to Wikipedia: "Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to the equally random letters Kevious."
    Last edited by maggiefromcanada; April 26th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

I wasn't suggesting that we analyze and judge these names using the same standards one might use when considering a name for their child. They are much different when viewed within the framework of professional athletes in the NFL. Most of these names don't work on ordinary people, but because NFL players are usually larger-than-life, their names can be, too. These are the kind of men that can literally pull off any name. It's a small slice of the population that can do it. I just think these are really great and interesting to see. And I think that it was a great stroke of destiny that a kid named Barkevious Mingus ended up in the NFL because he would have been out of place as manager of Outback Steakhouse or as a CPA for H&R Block.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Quote Originally Posted by maggiefromcanada View Post
    My favourites are Xavier, Desmond, and Jarvis, plus I also have a soft spot for Bjoern and Dion (probably because my hockey team's captain is named Dion).

Not a fan of Star on a guy. Cordarrelle sounds kind of feminine to me, and Barkevious is just... wow.

According to Wikipedia: "Mingo is the son of Hugh Mingo and Barbara Johnson. He has two older brothers, Hugh and Hughtavious. His unusual first name was created by his mother, adding the first three letters of her first name to the equally random letters Kevious."
    Using "real world" standards, I really like Desmond and Dion, too. They are probably my two favorites from the list. I have been lobbying for these names with my BF, but he's not sold. He isn't sure if they could fit on a "white kid". I kind of think a name like Desmond or Dion could give a little boy just a little bit of swagger. I'd love to be able to give some swagger to my son through a great name. We'll see what happens.

Re: Barkevious
    Interesting naming technique. I think Hugh got off easy in that sibset
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfmama View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that we analyze and judge these names using the same standards one might use when considering a name for their child. They are much different when viewed within the framework of professional athletes in the NFL. Most of these names don't work on ordinary people, but because NFL players are usually larger-than-life, their names can be, too. These are the kind of men that can literally pull off any name. It's a small slice of the population that can do it. I just think these are really great and interesting to see. And I think that it was a great stroke of destiny that a kid named Barkevious Mingus ended up in the NFL because he would have been out of place as manager of Outback Steakhouse or as a CPA for H&R Block.
    I try to be consistent with my "high standards" and apply them to every person. I don't think being a sports star, celebrity or whatever changes anything. How long does an NFL career last? These guys have to go into the "real world" soon enough, don't they? People are only "larger-than-life" if we allow them to be. We all have strengths and limitations. We're human beings who shouldn't be put on a pedestal. You know what usually happens when we put people on pedestals... they eventually fall off.
    All the best,
    Mischa.