Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Ella and/or Eloise considered classics???

Just wondering thoughts on these two. Are they classics??
    ~ "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."~ Mother Teresa

I consider Ella to be a classic.

I like to think of Eloise as more of a vintage gem. I'm not sure it's widely used or recognised enough to be what most people would consider a classic.

I would say that both are 'modern classics' in the sense that they have history and weight behind them (as opposed to Jayden or Kaylee), but they're not classics in the same sense that names like Anne and James are.

Not in my mind, Eloise is more vintage & Ella is too nicknamey and too tied to the last decade or so. But I am very strict on what constitutes a 'classic' name.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore

Quote Originally Posted by linguaphile View Post
    I would say that both are 'modern classics' in the sense that they have history and weight behind them (as opposed to Jayden or Kaylee), but they're not classics in the same sense that names like Anne and James are.
    I think Ella is more of a modern classic than Eloise. It's too close to call if Eloise is a modern classic or not. It's rising in popularity, but not popular enough to be considered a modern classic in my opinion. Upswing Baby Names has a good article on this: http://upswingbabynames.com/2012/08/...aby-name-myth/
    I'm a young writer who's obsessed with baby names!!!!!!!!
    Favorite names coming soon...
    Elrock13