Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ah, Jacob....

Ah, Jacob....

DH likes Jacob and the name is actually growing on me. At first I completely discounted it due to it being number one for years. But, the more I compare our lists and try using the names, Jacob has a nice sound to it. I also think Jacob/Jake goes well with our DD Gabrielle/Gabby.

I knew one Jacob in high school and one friend of the family named Jacob. I don't know any kids with the name. It's actually number 4 in my state - behind William, Mason, & James (James is on our list as well). I feel like I hear many more boys named Aiden, Caden, Jayden, Brayden, Jackson, Braxton, etc.

What do you think? Is Jacob just TOO popular? How many Jacobs do you know?

Jacob isn't actually as popular as it seems. When you combine spellings, Jacob is #3 behind Aiden and Jayden. I only know a handful of Jacobs myself. It's a handsome, solid name, hence the reason it is so popular.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I can definitely understand being reluctant to use a name that is so popular, but at the same time Jacob is a classic/timeless kind of name that you really can't go wrong with. It's one of those names that's not popular because of a modern trend or something, but is popular just because so many people like it and have always liked it. I often put Jacob in the same mental category as a name like Lucas, both Jacob and Lucas are not necessarily names I'd choose myself, but I can definitely understand why people would choose them.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

I know a lot of Jacobs. But I too love it, and it is my top boy's name. Popularity is only important to a point; if it's really THE name, then who cares how popular it is?

One of the alternatives I came up with was Jacoby, with the nn Coby. Just for a bit of a twist on it if you're worried about popularity.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

do you think Jacob or James is a religious name? We are considering James as well and I am a bit cautious of choosing a religious sounding name.