Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I love Valentine for a girl! Janet is not my favorite Jan variation: i like Jane better. Jane Valentine...wonderful!
    Hadewych Ebba Rosalind due 2.15.2015

Aurore Ebba Rosalind, Aurelia Beatrice Rose, Hadewych Ebba Aurora, Cosima Rose Beatrice, Riva Ianthe Juniper, Melisande Juno Catharina, Lorelei Caja Vasilisa

Ramses, Midas, Erasmus/Rasmus, Rodolphe, Jasper, Rembrandt, Lloyd, Lucius, Otis, Emrys, Oberon

Do you want to call your daughter Jan, too?

I think Hal & Jannie are adorable, as well as formal Harold and Janet. I do think Janette (with the emphasis on the -nette) has a little more panache than Janet, and I like Jeannette (which in English is pronounced nearly identically) even more. There's also Janelle, which might (obliquely) pull in a little bit of Lillian.

However, as nice as Janet is, I like Claudia infinitely more. The long, dignified history of the name vastly outweighs its literal, ancient Roman meaning. For sheer va-va-va-voom I don't think you can beat Claudia DeMerle. It exudes 40s Hollywood glamour. If Hal seems too friendly next to Claudia, what about Lottie, or Laudy?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Janet Valentine is lovely (so is Harold!) You have eliminated every other possible form of Jan, Lillian or a combination of the two, so there aren't really any more suggestions to give.

It sounds nice together, so what's the worry?

Phloxie-
    Funny you should select Jane Valentine, because for a long time, that was the front-runner. However, we have a Jan, Jean, Joan, and several Johns mixed into our family tree, and I wanted a name that would clearly honor my mother, Jan. To me, even though I love the name 'Jane', it could be in honor of any of the above, whereas 'Janet' is more directly linked to Jan. (Yes, I know this is still a feminine version of John too.) Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

It sounds to me like you really love your choice - Janet Valentine - and you want to use it. Go for it! As others have said, there is nothing wrong with the name Janet - it is familiar, easy to spell and pronounce. I think the reason that some see it as dated is because there are a lot of people in our parents' generation named Janet, but that doesn't make it a bad name. Family names are so nice - I am sure your mother would be really honored and happy if you named your daughter after her. I was named after my grandmother, and it is a very special connection.