Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peony?

Peony?

My favorite flower is the Peony. A beautiful flower with a great meaning. Is it usable as a girls name? I think I'd prefer it in the middle spot. I know the first syllable sounds like "pee", but so does Peter which is a classic boys name. Any reasons not to use it?
    Mommy to Rosamund ~ March 2011 & Elowen ~ June 2013

Baby #3 due Summer 2015

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above" ~ James 1:17

I quite like Peony. I think of a flower first, not a "pee" I don't see any reasons not to use it, especially as a middle name.

The problem with Peony isn't the Pee sound, it's the subsequent N sound. It's the same as the word "pianist". Lots of room for mis-hearing and/or teasing. I agree tho, they are gorgeous flowers! And I actually like Peony for a name in theory, I just don't think it works that well in practice (at least not in my SoCal dialect). Peony, to me, sounds like a storybook character...a girl I'd want to be friends with, and I'd read all the books in her series and fantasize about having adventures like her.
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

I love Peony! It's one of my favorites! (I forgot about it! ) I love peonies too; they're beautiful! I think Peony could be used as a first or middle name. I prefer it as a first name though. I would hate to hide Peony away in the middle.

It does have the "pee" sound and kind of sounds like "pony" and "pee on me" depending on exactly how you say it, but I wouldn't worry about any of that. It has such a delicate, airy sound/vibe to it. (To me anyways.) I think it would be really refreshing and lovely! I don't see any reasons not to use it.

I love both of your daughter's names by the way! Are you considering Peony for your daughter on the way or a third child?
    Rosamund, Elowen, and Peony would be lovely if you used it as a first name!
    nineteen & renaming myself soon

Quote Originally Posted by jessica123 View Post
    I love both of your daughter's names by the way! Are you considering Peony for your daughter on the way or a third child?
    Rosamund, Elowen, and Peony would be lovely if you used it as a first name!
    As a name nerd, I'm always thinking of names for subsequent children. My husband would not be happy if I changed my mind about our daughter on the way! I love Rosamund and Elowen together, and thank you for the vote of confidence about Peony.
    Mommy to Rosamund ~ March 2011 & Elowen ~ June 2013

Baby #3 due Summer 2015

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above" ~ James 1:17