Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

You guys are so cool. I appreciate all your amazingly honest and thoughtful responses so much. Like, you have no idea.

I'm gonna keep it real: I think I might be falling in love with Matilda.

I never liked it because I thought it was too starbaby/hipster and too clunky. But it actually hasn't been used for a lot of celeb babies. Heath & Michelle, yeah, but not many more.

And the hipsters have moved on to whatever they move on to. I think it's more gently yupster than hipster, and tbh, I just really don't even care. I don't want to be a prisoner of the trends either way.

As for the clunkiness...

Ok, I was walking down the Biography aisle in a bookstore last week and I put my hand on a book with something like Queen of the Conqueror written on the spine. I picked it up for no particular reason and the subtitle on the front said something like The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I. Something like that, I don't remember exactly.

I read the inner flap synopsis and the first few pages. And I thought, hmmm. Because her story was already fascinating. And then I came home and starting reading a little about other Matildas of history. There have been many. And their stories are huge and important and glorious. There is even a Saint Matilda!

Then I started thinking about the meaning. Matilda comes from Old German words math and hildr, meaning "strength" and "battle."

Can I get a hell yeah?

And it just grew on me. The history and the meaning combined to make this strong, regal name, which today comes across as sort of quirky-feminine and a bit nerdy. Like a pretty girl in glasses wearing a whimsical hat and reading a book by a fountain.

And the clunkiness is a beautiful clunkiness, like an oversized ring with a big, clunky jewel (an emerald, perhaps?) on the hand of a queen. It's an opulent Teutonic clunkiness, like a harsh, stone castle tower festooned with jewel-colored velvet.

It also meets the Ma- criteria. I was hoping to find a name with an Mar- beginning, since I have a dad Mark, a mom Marla (and it's my own first name, tho I don't go by it), a grandma Marge, a MIL Margaret, and a great-grandma Mary Ann. I thought it would be great to find a Mar- name, but I just don't like Mar- names. So I thought, well, a Ma- name would be the next best thing. But I didn't find one of those either. Until now!

Aaaaaand - my husband ACTUALLY. LIKES IT. !!! I mean, LIKES IT.

It goes great with Emerald. It goes with our last name. It goes with imaginary future brother Josiah.

I just feel kind of sold on Matilda.

Thanks again for all your incredible feedback, berries. You pretty much rule.

And ottilie - I am going to buy the book. Make no mistake. :-)
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Boy Combos: Jack Gabriel Walker & Jonah Michael Whittaker
    David . Alexander (Andy) . Xavier . Abel . Edgar . Apollo . Thomas . Harry . Walter . Frederick

Girl Combos: Clementine ??? . Margot Jillian . Diana Elizabeth
    Gemma . Beatrice . Vesper . Stella . Claire . Rose . Sibyl . Rosemary . Winter . Georgia . Grace . Judith . Corinne