Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you think about the name Vanessa?

So my DH is totally stuck on this name. He doesn't even want to talk about any other girls names now! He thinks it's a perfect name if we end up having a girl. He says it's a great name because it's a vintage name with a modern feel. I have always liked the name, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to lock this one down. We still have a while until the due date. I know it got mixed reviews when I posted my list earlier. In real life, it's getting positive feedback so far unlike some of the other girl names I like. What do you really think of this name? Should I let DH have his #1 choice or keep looking?
    Last edited by mellowyellow; April 24th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

I like it, it's not used much any more and it's got a cute nickname Essie. Unfortunately we can't use it for our little one, but if we could it would definitely be on my list.

I like Vanessa. There are a couple things that bother me about it, particularly its lack of history and nicknames. Those are just my particular quirks, though. I tend to be a nicknamer when it comes to girls, and Vanessa doesn't lend itself to anything I like. As for its history, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for his poem 'Cadenus and Vanessa' in 1726. It was a rearranging of the initial syllables of the first name and surname of his close friend, Esther Vanhomrigh. As such, it doesn't really have a meaning, unlike other invented names (like Shakespeare's Miranda) based on existing names or words. It is often listed as meaning butterfly, but the name was invented and then later used as the name of a genus of butterfly. Vanessa was rarely used as a given name until the mid 1900s. Most people would neither know nor care about any of that, though. All in all, it has a pleasing sound, and is easy to spell and pronounce.

I would most definitely not stop looking if you are not 100% sold on it. You never know, you may stumble across a name that you both love.

(There is a character on Disney's Phineas and Ferb named Vanessa Doofenshmirtz that might give the name a little bit of a cool edge among kids.)
    Last edited by krismichelle; April 24th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Mama to Caleb Nicholas and Annabel Hope
    <>
    TTC #3 Violet Kristine or Owen Christopher

I really like Vanessa, it's classy and elegant yet familiar

Crushing on
    Vilhelmina ◇ Elysia ◇ Hilda ◇ Fiona ◇ Inga ◇ Felicia ◇ Rosa ◇ Lovisa ◇ Freja ◇ Isobel ◇ Gustav ◇ Odin ◇ Axel ◇ Emil ◇ Angus ◇ Ingo ◇ Georg ◇ Tore ◇ Atlas ◇ Imre

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

I really like the name Vanessa! It's cute and edgier on a teenager, and it'll age well :-) I have a few friends named Vanessa, they go by Nessa, Nessie + Essa, if that helps? Also, Nessa is an actual Irish name, if you want something similar to Vanessa without naming her Vanessa.
    17. name lover. hoping to have kids of my own one day.

Little Ladies:
    Lucie Olivia|Audrey Nicole|Bryony Elise|Elsie Rose|Sienna Louise|Felicity Noelle|Clara Danielle|Evangeline Claire|Liliana Kate|Larissa Maeve|Fallon Rosalie|Tessa Violet

Little Gentlemen:
    Joshua Thomas|Cameron Patrick|Bryson Andrew|Brogan Oliver|Anthony Joel|Jamie William|Adam Michael|Landon Christopher|Dylan Robert|Charlie James