Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie413 View Post
    While slightly dated, I generally do like it. It is easy to spell, pretty sounding, not overly popular, but recognizable. Essie is a cute nn for a child. And you can definitely visualize a teenager to adult woman carrying Vanessa quite well.
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what does it mean when someone says that the name is dated? This is the 2nd time I'm hearing this term on nameberry, but I'm not quite sure what it means. Is dated the same as outdated?

I think it is pretty, but would never use it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellow View Post
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what does it mean when someone says that the name is dated? This is the 2nd time I'm hearing this term on nameberry, but I'm not quite sure what it means. Is dated the same as outdated?
    It just means out of style or old fashioned (not in a good way). It usually means it is associated with another decade.

Well of course I love Vanessa since I named my daughter who was born in 2012 Vanessa Rose. I agree with your husband about the name being vintage with a modern feel. I love that all the famous women with this name are beautiful and talented. I love that the name is underused yet familiar. I love that there is only one way to pronounce it. As far as the dated aspect. I think everyone has their own definition of what is dated. Personally, I don't think Vanessa is at all dated. I think what classifies a name as dated is 1) a quick rise to fame and a sharp fall after it peaks or 2) a name that is very popular during a particular time - top 10 or 20 most popular. Vanessa doesn't fit into either category. It has been in the top 200 for 60 years (since 1953) and in the top 100 for over 3 decades (from 1977-2009) that is very respectable! Moreover, it's peak at #41 in 1988 wasn't even high enough to consider it a generation defining name. In that year, there were approximately 7,000 Vanessa's born in the US and approximately 65,000 Jennifers. With that logic in mind, I wouldn't categorize this name as dated, but rather an underused modern classic. The name is in a natural decline after many years in the top 100. It is currently at #118, which clearly means that there are plenty of parents using it for their baby girls who don't think it's dated. I don't see it leaving the top 1000 anytime soon if ever. With that said, I think both you and your husband have to love the name. You still have lots of time before you have to sign that birth certificate. Do some more work to figure out what you really like.
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose

I like it. I know a first grader named Vanessa and a co-worker in her late 30s named Vanessa...fits both of them so nicely! I say go for it!

Current crushes:
    Girls: Adelaide, Fiona, Nora, Molly
    Boys: Benjamin, Levi, Miles/Milo, Sebastian, Theodore, James, Remi/Remy