Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by krismichelle View Post
    I like Vanessa. There are a couple things that bother me about it, particularly its lack of history and nicknames. Those are just my particular quirks, though. I tend to be a nicknamer when it comes to girls, and Vanessa doesn't lend itself to anything I like. As for its history, it was invented by Jonathan Swift for his poem 'Cadenus and Vanessa' in 1726. It was a rearranging of the initial syllables of the first name and surname of his close friend, Esther Vanhomrigh. As such, it doesn't really have a meaning, unlike other invented names (like Shakespeare's Miranda) based on existing names or words. It is often listed as meaning butterfly, but the name was invented and then later used as the name of a genus of butterfly. Vanessa was rarely used as a given name until the mid 1900s. Most people would neither know nor care about any of that, though. All in all, it has a pleasing sound, and is easy to spell and pronounce.

I would most definitely not stop looking if you are not 100% sold on it. You never know, you may stumble across a name that you both love.

(There is a character on Disney's Phineas and Ferb named Vanessa Doofenshmirtz that might give the name a little bit of a cool edge among kids.)
    Thank you for such detailed feedback! We like the nickname Essie, so nicknames are not a problem. Also, the history and meaning doesn't bother me so much because the way I look at it is all the names were invented at some point or another. The only difference is that we can't trace older names to their beginning as we can with Vanessa.

Thanks for pointing out the Phineas and Ferb connection. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellow View Post
    Thank you for such detailed feedback! We like the nickname Essie, so nicknames are not a problem. Also, the history and meaning doesn't bother me so much because the way I look at it is all the names were invented at some point or another. The only difference is that we can't trace older names to their beginning as we can with Vanessa.

Thanks for pointing out the Phineas and Ferb connection. I'll have to check it out.

You're welcome! With all that being said, if the husband came home today saying that Vanessa was THE name for him, I think I could happily use it, especially after you pointed out Essie as a nickname. That is rather sweet. The ties to poetry and nature outweigh the lacking meaning, at least in my book. Happy naming!
    Mama to Caleb Nicholas, Annabel Hope, and Grace Ramona
    <>

I like Vanessa. It's fun and ages well.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I like Vanessa too. Veronica is edgier, I think. Not that they have anything to do with each other other than the V.

I can't really think of other names that strike me as similar to Vanessa. Can anyone else?
    Esme Vivienne | Gwyneth Rosalie | Hazel Matilda | Margot Eliza | Sylvie Coraline
    Archer Lennox | Emmett Byrne | Lucian Matteo | Rhys Anderson | Sebastian Leo

While slightly dated, I generally do like it. It is easy to spell, pretty sounding, not overly popular, but recognizable. Essie is a cute nn for a child. And you can definitely visualize a teenager to adult woman carrying Vanessa quite well.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~