Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Do you like the boy name Satchel?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

16 16.67%
  • No!

80 83.33%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    It's an awesome name.

Satchel is not a term used much in the US. I mean really, when was the last time you heard someone say "satchel" in day-to-day conversation? People just say bag. I'm guessing the people who are thinking it's a unusable are either not American, know nothing about baseball, or know nothing about Black history. I'd wager that the average American would instantly think of Satchel Paige, not a purse.
    Quote Originally Posted by mischa View Post
    Satchel WAS the name of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's sole biological child. He was named after baseball player Satchel Paige. I said "WAS" because as soon as he was old enough he changed it. He goes by Ronan Farrow now. I think that kind of says it all.
    It doesn't say anything about Satchel. He dropped the name not because he had a problem with Satchel but because he had a problem with the person who chose it. Whether his dad had named him John or Amadeus or Beverley, he would have dropped it because he wanted nothing to do with Woody.

Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Fox * Greer
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Linden * Arden

A satchel is a bag. It's cool as a nickname, and Indiana Jones can rock a satchel. I'm just not fond of it as a given name.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Perhaps Sacha? They both sound kind of the same if you hold your tongue, haha.

And I'm American... and instantly thought of a bag..

I know my bags.

Hehe.

Ah yes, or:
    Avner
    Archer
    Bridger
    Bower
    Booker
    Chandler
    Foster
    Fielder
    Lochlainn
    Painter
    Ranger
    Reiner
    Topher
    Xavier
    Last edited by cheele; April 24th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Callista; 21; ♎☉ | animal; long-hair advocate; planner
    Mother to 4 guinea pigs ~ Ganon, Impa, Din, and introducing... Tetra!
    ♂ | Link SorenRiver ShepherdGabriel
    ♀| FawnLunaFaye Rhian Kelsea
    Visit my "About Me" for my full (lazy) list

I'm American and I definitely think purse. I love Thatcher and Fletcher.

I instantly think of the bag or a certain insult that begins with satchel and ends in a not so acceptable word for your derriere.

Satchel has a nice sound that is definitely appealing, but the name isn't. Dashiell as suggested above is a lovely alternative.
    new username @finch