Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I like Rosette, Novalie and Leontine best out of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Also, Cosette isn't used as a name in France. Quotes from Behind the Name Comments:

"Although its a good idea not to name your kid Cosette if she'll ever go to France - it's the equivalent of saying with sarcasm "poor little rich girl!"

"Josette is a lovely alternative to Cosette, as the French I know tend to react to "Cosette" as Americans might react to the name "Baby" if born by an adult woman."
    Opinions definitely are divided on the name. I've only met one (French) Cosette (who was in her fifties), but it's not completely unseen. I don't think it's as much the "poor little nobody" image that makes it unattractive (or unpopular), as it is the fact that it's not a name that ages very well (it's too little girly-girly). IIRC it means "petite chose" or "little thing". Personally I would never use it because of the heavy association to Les Misérables, but it's a name that clings well
    Zelia/Elja • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a blog and a royalty blog.
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names.
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Elessar/Valdemar Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Juno Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I love Léontine!

French Names on My List:
    Faye
    Leonie
    Melisande
    Sabine
    Viole
    Constance
    Margot
    Oriane
    Reverie
    Fleur
    Bellamy
    Clemence
    19 year old name lover with impeccable taste (◡‿◡✿)

Bijou isn't a name? What about Bijou Phillips? Lots of names are also words, right?

I like a majority of your list, especially Apolline but I thought you might want to know Miette is not really a French name. It is associated with food and garbage despite the fact that it has been used as a name in literature. I have French friends who can't even believe someone would name their child this so while it might work in the States if your child ever traveled to France people would think this is a bizarre name choice.

I have to agree with Renrose, I used to hate Cosette and I've let up on my stance but in France Cosette is often used in a way to say "quit whining" as in stop being a Cosette and it's sort of an old lady name. Shvibziks is right, it's not 100% obsolete but INSEE data shows it hasn't been used since 2009.

My favorite French names and the ones on my list are in my signature if you're looking for inspiration. I keep a big database of French names and will try to post some later.
    Last edited by agent99; April 24th, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eléonor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Aenor, Bérangère, Bérénice, Catalina, Honorine, Nadezhda Boys: Augustin, Calixte, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Maxandre, Maxence, Yves

~~Formerly know on the boards as The.TX.Belle~~