Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thoughts on Peter?

Peter has long been a favorite of mine--it was my first favorite boys' name--and I am coming around to it again! For several months now, I've been itching to get it back on my list for Peter Pevensie (and the Biblical Peter!), as well as just loving the image of Peter--laid-back, kind, an everyman, but still poised, intelligent, classy. I find Peter to be an intriguing classic, it's always had a je ne sais quoi for me, and I still love it.

Recently it hit me that I love the idea of Peter with my girls' names--I think Peter would be adorable with Isabelle, Arianne, Olivia, and Violet (although not quite a perfect stylistic match).

I do have doubts about it, though--I'm practically certain I'll never be able to find a combo I like with Peter up front (and when that seems to happen, I invariably go off of the name, since I get so frustrated with it!), plus I have lingering feelings of not really being able to see Peter on a little boy (and even if I can, I'm not sure how cute I think a little boy named Peter would be?), and Peter still feels a bit dated to me.

Would you like to meet a little Peter? How would you freshen it up? I also like the similar European variants, Pieter and Peder, but wouldn't they be an absolute hassle to deal with?

Or should I just keep Peter in the MN spot? Right now, it's on my list as Boaz Addison Peter, but I'm having serious doubts about the combo, anyhow.

Thanks, ladies!
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

Your list of girl names is so classic, Peter would fit lovely in there. I've always thought Peter was a darling name. When I think of a Peter, I think of a well-mannered, kind, heroic boy.

Olivia, Violet, and Peter sound perfect together!

Boaz Addison Peter doesn't sound nearly as great as Peter Addison Boaz, in my opinion.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Peter is a great name. It's on my long list (getting closer to the top). Reminds me of Peter Rabbit! I think it's lovely and would match very well with your girls names.
    Alice - Beatrix - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Harriet - Mabel - Susannah

Albert - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Peter is ok. I would be fine with meeting a wee Peter.

I have a young neighbor called Peter. I love hearing it.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly