Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    My family goes like this : I am the eldest, I have a little sister very close in age. Then there is a 5 year gap and my parents had two little boys. So I was 7-9 years old when they were born. My parents openly discussed names as a family and we would naturally give our opinions. While we children definitely didn't choose the names, our opinions were taken into account and in the case of my youngest brother my parents were rather undecided between two or three names, and our opinion probably helped them pick (my sister hated the other names).

So I like the idea that it was a decision taken as a family. The other children feel involved in this new baby's life and it probably helps them feel responsible and closer to the baby. It is also a really cute story to tell afterwards, very special.

That said I am obsessed with names now and I think I will find it very hard to let anyone but myself decide, but we'll have to see.

Bottom line is, do whatever fits your family, and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by uselesskitty View Post
    I am too selfish to allow somebody else, other than my hubby, to have input on the names.
    Yep, this is me too, lol. And like someone else said, I wouldn't want a younger child to feel like I couldn't be bothered to name them myself.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

My cousin was 5 when her brother was born. She insisted his name be Bubba Cletus and was very upset when he was named something else.
    DH's input was asked for at 4-5 and his suggestion was Grover (he has a Sesame Street obession). A friend at 18 was given free reign over her brother's name and chose Mason Thomas and her mom changed Mason to Masen to avoid the association of the Masonic Temple.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire

I don't think it would be for me (though I think it's a wonderful idea for an older sibling to choose from a much loved shortlist) because I'd rather have a few names to choose from then decide what to name them when they're born and what if the name the older sibling chose didn't fit. They'd be so upset.

My oldest brother was five when I was born and wanted me to be named Grace. My mam liked the name and now it's my middle.
    Girls:

Celia Odette ~ Georgiana Adele ~ Cosette Rosaline ~ Luna Mirabelle ~ Molly Josephine ~ Alora Juliette ~ Belle Seraphina ~ Katia Rose ~ Elizabeth Lucy ~ Gisela Bay

Boys:

Henry Carlisle ~ Cedric Alexander ~ Oliver Vincent ~ Arthur Kingsley ~ Caspian North ~ Ashley Pierce ~ Oisín Elliot ~ Peter Edmund ~ Spencer Bennet ~ Fionn Emmett

Choosing from a short list, I'd absolutely let that happen. I would never say, "What do you want to name the baby?" just in general, though.
    And honestly, I'd only let my older child choose from a short list if my husband & I really didn't have a preference between a couple options.
    Lucia
    Eleanora, Iris, Maeve, Sela
    Balthazar, Bastian, Caius, Gideon