Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It's a sweet idea, in theory, but we got our kids' input the last time around, and when DH and I ultimately decided on a name that our then 5 year old disagreed with, it was not pretty! He is still upset about it, and this pregnancy, praying for a boy so we/he can use the name that was his top choice last time. But as others have said, if you're certain you'll be absolutely fine with any of the names on your short list, no harm in involving other kids. I'm trying to keep their input limited to choosing blankets and onesies this time!
    If only I could make a living naming other people's children...

Girl names I'm loving right now: Alaka, Jane, Daisy, Arabella, Francesca, Georgia, Ciara, Violet, Flora, Raphaela, Beatrice, Winter, Hazel, Delia, Bronwen
    Boy names I love (after naming 5 of my own): Gideon, Watson, Magnus, Miles, Oliver, Callum, Felix, Rafferty/Rafe, Edmund, Reuben

We made sure our two year old could pronounce all our top choices before adding them to the list but didn't ask for ideas as she was too young. Choosing from a shortlist is a lovely idea.

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    We made sure our two year old could pronounce all our top choices before adding them to the list but didn't ask for ideas as she was too young. Choosing from a shortlist is a lovely idea.
    I do think it's a nice idea to see if your child can pronounce your top choice.

Personally, I don't think I would give an older child a real say for various reasons--conflict, ownership, objectifying....I don't know. I guess it would depend on the personality of the child, the reasoning for letting the child choose, and how firm/loose you are in your choices. I can imagine it having both horrible and fantastic outcomes depending on the situation.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I chose my sisters name, Isabella, back in 2002 when I was seven. My mum liked it because of a song; and my stepfather liked it because he preferred names that ends in -a, so they decided to go with my choice. Would I have chosen a different name today? Yes, but I don't think that Isabella (or Isabel - I gave them options) is a bad name.

Personally, I wouldn't let any future children name a younger sibling. I would, however, definitely take input. Say if I was in between two names, I would most certainly ask the older sibling/s which name they preferred. I'd might even let them pick a middle name if I liked it.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

I don't think I could hand over the final choice to my children but I would like their input if they were older. My eldest will be 3 when baby number 3 arrives so I will mention names to her and see if she can pronounce them but that's probably about it. If she had free rein on choosing a name we would probably end up with something like "Cupcake Rainbow" haha
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl