Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    In my current book (which has had partials and a full MS requests by agents, so there is a good publication over the next few years), there is an antagonist named Evander, one of my favorite names. But for me, once the right name pops up for a character, I can't change it. But he is one of the best characters I have ever written, and so there is a very good chance I may use Evander as a middle name.
    I have been known, though, to use names I don't like for characters, so I have an excuse for future DH to not use the name. "Oh, Madison? It was the last name of this guy who was a villain in one of my first novels... Definitely can't ever use it, especially on a girl..."

Anyways, character names often stick and I cannot get them out of my head. Sometimes, it'll take me hours of searching to find it, but when I do, it feels super weird to change it- regardless of whether it is a fav or NMS. Sadly, since I've been writing for over six years and started a bazillion different things, most names remain untainted. But for any projects that have managed to survive the perilous infant chapters, most names are a middle, at best.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I have used both Elowen and Clara for characters, and they are definitely still top contenders for my next child if it is a girl.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    I have been known, though, to use names I don't like for characters, so I have an excuse for future DH to not use the name. "Oh, Madison? It was the last name of this guy who was a villain in one of my first novels... Definitely can't ever use it, especially on a girl..."
    Now that is a good idea!
    15 year old name lover, with a cat named Neville.
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9826126

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedauthor View Post
    If the character was in an unpublished story, then I wouldn't see an issue with it. If it's something that I've published, no. I wouldn't want my child to feel like an extension of my professional life, and I wouldn't want to connect my child to my character or vice versa.
    I agree with this. (Plus by the time it's gone through that number of edits, the name is just too "used" in my head!)
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13