Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Berries vs. Everybody Else

How much do name preferences on Nameberry forums reflect those of the general population? Does this site tend to attract people who often like the same kinds of names?

I was reading through all of the posts on the recent "top ten" thread in the Girls' Names forum and noticed a lot of similarities - and was particularly struck by how our current top name pick for baby girl #2 showed up on MANY of the lists, even though it's in the 300s for the 2011 social security list.

Just curious to know more from those of you who have been around longer than I have!
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

I personally think this site tends to attract people who are looking to avoid the top 100 names and/or the trendiest "unique" choices in favor of an underused (and possibly even obscure) gem or a quirky-but-attractive word name.

I don't think the Nameberry forums reflect the general population much at all. Most people I know who have had babies went with names that are in the top 100, if not the top 10. Berries? Not so much.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by uselesskitty View Post
    I don't think the Nameberry forums reflect the general population much at all. Most people I know who have had babies went with names that are in the top 100, if not the top 10. Berries? Not so much.
    This exactly.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

It absolutely does not reflect the general population. From my non-scientific observations, I believe the Nameberry population is generally wealthier, whiter, better-educated, more "hipster," and much more heavily female than the rest of the population. Berries also have a very particular taste in names-I don't think most people would find Mackenzie repulsive or Agnes charming, but that seems to be the style of Nameberry.

I think it's better to ask your friends and family if you want a general population opinion about a name, honestly. However, berries know much more about names, so both views are valuable!