Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    I would never, ever, ever use Phoenix on a boy, but I live in China. In Chinese culture (and I believe in much of East Asian culture), the phoenix represents women. Historically, the phoenix represented the empress, whereas the dragon represented the emperor. So, when Chinese marry, often the woman wears a red qipao with a phoenix pattern, whereas the man wears a jacket with a dragon. Even wedding gifts follow this pattern. Phoenix is also a common character in women's names. There're also the idioms "to hope for one's daughter to become a phoenix", and "to hope for one's son to become a dragon." So, if you think your son will not ever come to East Asia, and will have minimal interactions with East Asians (esp. Chinese), then go for it. Otherwise, I'd caution you against this.
    So interesting...

River Phoenix was a man no matter he ended bad so Phoenix sounds masculine to me. I think it's a great boy name(I loathe it on a girl though).
    I don't think it has any teasing potentional, but if kids want to tease little Phoenix, they will find the way to do it.

I love Phoenix as a girl's name, I think it's a bit too feminine sounding for a boy.

I would never, ever, ever use Phoenix on a boy, but I live in China. In Chinese culture (and I believe in much of East Asian culture), the phoenix represents women. Historically, the phoenix represented the empress, whereas the dragon represented the emperor. So, when Chinese marry, often the woman wears a red qipao with a phoenix pattern, whereas the man wears a jacket with a dragon. Even wedding gifts follow this pattern. Phoenix is also a common character in women's names. There're also the idioms "to hope for one's daughter to become a phoenix", and "to hope for one's son to become a dragon." So, if you think your son will not ever come to East Asia, and will have minimal interactions with East Asians (esp. Chinese), then go for it. Otherwise, I'd caution you against this.
    I didn't know that, how interesting.

In the USA, I'd say it's more masculine than feminine. I've only ever heard it on a male. It sounds masculine to me, similar to Felix. Off the top of my head I can't think of a feminine name that's similar. Phoebe would be the closest.
    Considering...
    Annika, Artemis, Bianca, Cassandra, Catherine, Evadne, Felicity, Gwendolen, Isabeau, Isadora, Juniper,
    Lorelei, Lyra, Octavia, Pandora, Petra, Sunniva, Thisbe, Thora

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian, Conrad, Damian, Desmond, Evander, Everett, Ezra, Griffin, Gwydion, Malachi,
    Peregrine, Phineas, Theodore

click for my name lists
    our furbabies: Sebastian and Oleander

I didn't know that, that's interesting. I do appreciate the information. We live in the United States and I currently doubt that I or any of my children would be able to afford to go to another country (at least until they are adults with their own jobs etc, after that I cannot say of course).
    Love is Friendship caught on Fire

Fur babies: Onyx (cat), Tigger (cat), Clara (dog)

TTC #1
    Angel Babies: Dec 2013 named Robin Lee (gender unknown) and May 2014 named Skyler Cherokee (gender unknown)
    Marrying my best friend on November 8, 2013